Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Secretly using the potty!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 17 Replies

I have been trying to potty train my youngest daughter krista but it hasn't been working.... Or so I thought. I just happened to move the potty today and there was pee in it. I asked my other 2 kids if they had been using it out of laziness they said no. So I asked krista who just gave me the "I don't speak English look" so you know it was her. After that I thought about all the other times there had been pee in the potty and I blamed her sister for it.... Don't I feel like a donkey now. I'm not sure what to do at this point she is quite content to let me keep changing her diapers and since I didn't have a washing machine handy I just let it go before. But that has got to stop she is 2 and obviously wants to use the potty ( though I've never seen her when she does). I'm just not sure which road to take now... start the training again ( she just lets herself pee in the traing pants) or let her keep peeing in the potty on her own? Please help because I have quite honestly forgotten how the older 2 got potty trained.

thank you

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Firenygirl180
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm trying to get my son to pee in the potty instead of on the floor. He takes his diaper off, pees on the floor and then brings me his diaper.

So here's a bump.
la_mona
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Shes not taking off her diaper yet but she will bring you one and the wipes too....

ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ditch the training pants and go straight to regular underwear. I never had any luck with training pants because my girls just treated them like diapers. I know it seems messy to begin with, by my now 7 yr old was potty trained in 3 days at 22 mos, and my now 3.5 yr old was potty trained in about a week at just before 3 yrs (she took longer because I was being lazy :/ ).
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
No diapers. Put panties on her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Nighttime diapers only and she may need you to kinda shut the door and wait outside. My dd has always told me to get out (especially for poops). She even was like that some at 2-3. 

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok, I don't think it's necessary to push her..... Yet. My youngest is almost 4. He goes during the day but at night we are still in diapers. (Pull ups) What a mess. But, I know he will get it in time. Here's some ideas that we did with him that worked wonderfully for during the day!

1. You could have a reward system. Have a jar with candy or something special that she likes that she gets only when she goes potty. My DS was money motivated (I still haven't figured out why.... ). We stuck a piggy bank on the back of the potty. Every time he's do a #1 in the potty he would get a penny to put in. Every time a #2, he'd get a nickel, dime, or a quarter.

2. A potty chart on the back of the potty or somewhere in the bathroom. I wish I had a picture of it, but I let him pick the color cardboard (yes, it was neon pink, much to hubby's dismay), and the stickers. He was not allowed to have ANY stickers unless he went. And then they went on the chart :) We picked a few different ones that he could choose from. This worked the best for him so he could see what he had done through the day. It made him quite proud of himself :)

3. If she does go, pull everyone in the bathroom and "show" them. Brothers, sisters, dad...bring them all in and cheer her on.

Just find her love language and use it. Sounds goofy, but it does work and it is amazing :)
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, one more idea- a timer. "Oh it's been 15 minutes? Lets go sit on the potty for a minute!" And slowly extend that time out. Let her pick out her "big girl" pants. The more choices she makes, the more motivated she will be :)
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Take her on a special lunch date/ice cream stop and let her pick out 'big girl' panties. Tell her she can use the potty chair any time she wants and wear her panties if she keeps her dipe dry. And then wait till she's ready. Ignore the wet ones, really positively reward the pantie wearing. With words, hugs, daddy attention, NOT treats or toys. 

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I was thinking along these lines, too. She may want to be in control of her body functions and not want comments or observers. I wonder if she would be able to empty the potty chair on her own, this would give her even more control.

Quoting Mamamanic:

Nighttime diapers only and she may need you to kinda shut the door and wait outside. My dd has always told me to get out (especially for poops). She even was like that some at 2-3. 

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this
Maybe don't say anything to her bc it sounds like a control thing. Just get her big girl underwear and don't say anything about it. Then she will learn pee is wet and poop is nasty and it will be all her choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)