Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need advice online college medical field

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 11 Replies

I'm a full time working mother unmarried with an 8 yr old and a 6mth old and would like to go back to school and better myself. I was first going to decide to be a physical therapist or occupational therapist. Then I saw that you need a masters for one and a bachelor's for the other which is ok and all. Problem is neither can;t be learned online. My community college doesn't offer those majors in those fields, just associates and certficates in other fields. So now I decided to go for medical coding/billing. Are they the same? And well in a way I am concerned about the years I would've been putting in had I went for physical/occ therapy because my current job has recently cut our hours and there's not much hope left in the company I work for and last thing I need is to be unemployed/laid off while trying to pursue my career. I know I can't predict anything but you never know. So does anyone know anyone working in medical billing/coding could share their opinions? Thanks all.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherandree
by Inga on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I knew someone that did the medical transcriptionist.  I don't know if that is the same thing.  She said it was mejorly difficult and although she got to work from home, she kept saying "I could not imagine trying to do this with small kids at home because I can barely get my stuff done now as is!"

On a side note, nearly every university does online classes.  I got my Master's from Liberty University and I am now going back for another Bachelor's at Arizona State University.  There is TONS of things that you can go for, so you don't have to settle.  Even if PT and OT is what you really wanted.

PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Medical transcriptionist types up the doctor's notes from tape. 

Quoting anotherandree:

I knew someone that did the medical transcriptionist.  I don't know if that is the same thing.  She said it was mejorly difficult and although she got to work from home, she kept saying "I could not imagine trying to do this with small kids at home because I can barely get my stuff done now as is!"

On a side note, nearly every university does online classes.  I got my Master's from Liberty University and I am now going back for another Bachelor's at Arizona State University.  There is TONS of things that you can go for, so you don't have to settle.  Even if PT and OT is what you really wanted.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The problem in the medical field is that it is becoming highly competitive and employers really don't like online schools.

Have you considered nursing?

caramel85
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I heard medical transcriptionist was a dying field.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM
True, and billing and coding doesn't make much.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

The problem in the medical field is that it is becoming highly competitive and employers really don't like online schools.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caramel85
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Well I pretty much don't have much options. I could either do it online and I could go to campus but it has to be part time, evenings/nights. I have thought about nursing, RN or maybe CNA. While I not only want to better myself but I don't want to be making the same salary as I am now ($22K a year).

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting caramel85:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Well I pretty much don't have much options. I could either do it online and I could go to campus but it has to be part time, evenings/nights. I have thought about nursing, RN or maybe CNA. While I not only want to better myself but I don't want to be making the same salary as I am now ($22K a year).

RN's in my area start out at around 45k-50k depending on your field. A CNA doesn't make any money really.

It can be done. I know many of my classmates that work full time and still manage to come to school. You can get lots of state grants/scholarships and then there are always student loans. I suggest going in and talking to a counselor and financial aide adviser at your local community college and seeing what they say.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

-PB
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

A friend of mine has done medical billing for about 5 years.  She gets paid about 24K.  Not that much considering she went to school for it.

JeremysMom
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
In my state you can do the CNA program in 4-5 weeks (night option in 7 weeks). From there you can get hired as a CNA and have your employer pay for your LPN or RN classes.

Quoting caramel85:

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Don't go for coding and billing/transcription!!! The gov't is forcing the docs to go to all electronic dictation and the field of the billing and coding transcriptionist is fast closing-and I mean FAST!!! My daughter-in-law is in the field and it's hard for a seasoned pro with a long resume of outstanding qualities in the field to find an actual transciption job-let alone someone who is new!!!! The doc's literally sit down and talk into a mic and the computer does all the coding for them. It's cheaper for them and the gov't is also giving out incentives for them to switch to this!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)