Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Reflux.... or something else?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hi ladies... so I posted before how my baby has silent reflux and cries a lot because of it. He has recently started this screaming thing that's super anoying! Not that I don't love him to death, but it's super high-pitch and he does it again and again. I thought maybe he was just learning to use his voice but he sounds so agitated when he does it. It's almost like he's protesting. If I put him on the floor to play he will start. It's like "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!" then he stops and looks at me and then he does it again, he also crinkles his eye brows up. He screams pretty much all day and especially when going to sleep. I have him on Zantac and I thicken his formula with gelmix.

I thought we would be through this by almost 6 months!! I feel that I am doing something wrong... He is so loved and well taken care of though, why isn't he a happy smiling baby?? I am crying because I am so discouraged! Babies are nothing new to me... but I've never been around one that is constantly pissed off like he is. Today has been an awful day.

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bally86
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Hmmm are we sharing the same baby?!
Im sorry to read of your troubles w your baby! Our son was diagnosed w reflux at 6 weeks and we got him on zantac. It worked for a bit then stopped. I have been breastfeeding but we have had to supplement some formula .... we have been on every formula out there...finally a month ago we switched to nutramigen and its worked very well.
So here we are at 5 1/2 months.... while we have a much happier baby than we used to we still struggle w the reflux. He will pull his knees up to his chest and scream the worst scream....sounds like what youre describing.
We stopped the zantac because we found it was making him worse. He has breast milk as much as possible and we use nutramigen hypoallergenic dairy free formula. Burp him a lot. He sleeps in a rock n play for the incline...it helps. He gets rice cereal at the request of the dr. Up until 4 1/2 months he was miserable most of the time and w all the changes he is slowly much happier. Good luck!!!!
mcarsel89
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM

lol I doubt we are sharing the same baby! We both would be much calmer and have less head aches if that were happening!

Part of me thinks the Zantac isn't doing anything for him, but Idk.

How did you find out Zantac was making it worse??

Quoting Bally86:

Hmmm are we sharing the same baby?!
Im sorry to read of your troubles w your baby! Our son was diagnosed w reflux at 6 weeks and we got him on zantac. It worked for a bit then stopped. I have been breastfeeding but we have had to supplement some formula .... we have been on every formula out there...finally a month ago we switched to nutramigen and its worked very well.
So here we are at 5 1/2 months.... while we have a much happier baby than we used to we still struggle w the reflux. He will pull his knees up to his chest and scream the worst scream....sounds like what youre describing.
We stopped the zantac because we found it was making him worse. He has breast milk as much as possible and we use nutramigen hypoallergenic dairy free formula. Burp him a lot. He sleeps in a rock n play for the incline...it helps. He gets rice cereal at the request of the dr. Up until 4 1/2 months he was miserable most of the time and w all the changes he is slowly much happier. Good luck!!!!

Mama110981
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Ive been threw all this already. Has his zantac dosage been upped yet? It is very weight sensitive. So every few oz they gain it needs to be upped. My son has been diagnosed with sever gerd. His father had it his grandmother had it and so does his sister. ( all on his dads side). Ds eventually maxed out on his dise for zantac and had been switched twice already on meds. The drs say " theyll grow out of it" but thats not always true. His sister is 9 and still has it
Mama110981
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
http://refluxrebels.com/Acid_reflux/Acid_reflux_medication.html

Idk if i put this link in right. What is is weight and his zantac dosage now?
Bally86
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Yes we upped his dose of zantac to the max dose... it was making him sick. Sorry i am.not more helpful. Good luck!
mcarsel89
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM

O gez I hope that's not the case with him. I keep praying he'll wake up and suddenly be this happy baby!

Quoting Mama110981:

Ive been threw all this already. Has his zantac dosage been upped yet? It is very weight sensitive. So every few oz they gain it needs to be upped. My son has been diagnosed with sever gerd. His father had it his grandmother had it and so does his sister. ( all on his dads side). Ds eventually maxed out on his dise for zantac and had been switched twice already on meds. The drs say " theyll grow out of it" but thats not always true. His sister is 9 and still has it

face84
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM

my son was one three diff reflux meds until we were put on one that worked.  Good luck momma hopefully tomorrow is a better day.  

mcarsel89
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Today has not been better! Just as bad... I'm not sure what to do. It's seems more like separation anxiety than anything else... I'm so discouraged. All of my sisters baby were constantly happy.

Quoting face84:

my son was one three diff reflux meds until we were put on one that worked.  Good luck momma hopefully tomorrow is a better day.  

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM
A tad early for separation anxiety, but its possible. Is he ok when you're holding him?

What kind of formula is he on?

Quoting mcarsel89:

Today has not been better! Just as bad... I'm not sure what to do. It's seems more like separation anxiety than anything else... I'm so discouraged. All of my sisters baby were constantly happy.

Quoting face84:

mcarsel89
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He is okay when he is held. He is on Baby's Only.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

A tad early for separation anxiety, but its possible. Is he ok when you're holding him?

What kind of formula is he on?

Quoting mcarsel89:

Quoting face84:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN