Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

what state?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 14 Replies

my husband and I live in Connecticut. we hate it!!!! we hate everything about it!!!! but his family lives here. so we don't plan on moving any time soon, but we want to build our home, but like i said we hate it here, so we want to move to state that is cheaper and is a little more country, ( city or country ) to buy 100 acres in ct is close to to 500,000. It seems the more land the cheap er it is. but my question is what state to you recommend? and why?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Txlisa7969
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Well, I live in East Texas.  I just checked and 100 acres where I live runs 200-250,000.   The up side to where I live is cost of living is fairly cheap, gas is cheaper than a lot of states, no state income tax, mild winters.  Now the down side I guess you could call it is Texas is a very conservative state, it is in the Bible belt (that can also be an upside depending on your beliefs), the summers are massively hot but just about every where is air conditioned, you will find the pay is not as high at in CT but then again cost of living is cheaper.  Some of the booming industries right now are health care (mainly nursing) and the oil/natural gas industries.  I will say that people are extremely friendly and truly care about their neighbor.  I am originally from NY but moved to TX when I was young.  I couldn't imagine living anywhere else now.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:12 AM

It really depends on what you're looking for and where you live in a state since there can be huge differences from region to region. I was born in Alabama and have lived here most of my life, either in Montgomery or south of it like Troy and Dothan like I am now, and I love it here. Where I'm at, in the suburbs of Dothan, is pretty country, with farmland and woods around, and it's fairly inexpensive to live here - we're under the national average cost of living.

LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Iowa! The cost of living isn't bad, we haven't been as badly hit by the economy, and it's a good place to raise kids. I hate the winters (but you have those in Connecticut). It's great in late spring, summer, and early fall. We have great stores and good entertainment in Des Moines, too. And a lot of country. I love living here.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't move to Wisconsin.  Everything is expensive.  Taxes, houses etc.  Weather sucks.  Can't wait to move. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

spitfire.mommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
I live in South Dakota. I've lived here my entire life. It's a big country state. Agriculture is HUGE around here. Depending what side of the river you live on depends on what type of land it is. On the East side of the river (Where I am) it's mainly plains and some rolling hills. But on the West side of the river it's badlands and the Black Hills (Where Mt. Rushmore is). Winters can be pretty harsh but you have that in CT. It's a good place to raise a family. Crime rates are fairly low. One down fall though is we are a ways away from "major attractions". The biggest attractions we have here are the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, and Deadwood (the Vegas of SD).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jalapano
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting spitfire.mommy:

I live in South Dakota. I've lived here my entire life. It's a big country state. Agriculture is HUGE around here. Depending what side of the river you live on depends on what type of land it is. On the East side of the river (Where I am) it's mainly plains and some rolling hills. But on the West side of the river it's badlands and the Black Hills (Where Mt. Rushmore is). Winters can be pretty harsh but you have that in CT. It's a good place to raise a family. Crime rates are fairly low. One down fall though is we are a ways away from "major attractions". The biggest attractions we have here are the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, and Deadwood (the Vegas of SD).

I kinda have to laugh at the part of being a ways a way from the major attractions of SD, I live in WY and I am at most a 3 hour drive from most of that (Yeah, I live really close to the border)

As far as I know land prices are decent here, but I havent done alot of research, to be honest with you. But I do have to say that the comminity here where I live is one of the best. To me, that is very important, because I like knowing that when my kids go to school, there is always someone she knows around, but even better, I know them too. 

mommylizTB2809
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I love the duggers, do you like them?

Quoting atlmom2:

Don't move to Wisconsin.  Everything is expensive.  Taxes, houses etc.  Weather sucks.  Can't wait to move. 

emilyelephant
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I second this. I looked at the price of land and it's about $250,000 for 100+ acres

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Iowa! The cost of living isn't bad, we haven't been as badly hit by the economy, and it's a good place to raise kids. I hate the winters (but you have those in Connecticut). It's great in late spring, summer, and early fall. We have great stores and good entertainment in Des Moines, too. And a lot of country. I love living here.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:56 PM
I like to watch them. Think they are extreme and a little loony.

Quoting mommylizTB2809:

I love the duggers, do you like them?

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvsHopesDreams
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM
I see you are in central Iowa. Where? I live in the Des Moines metro area!

Quoting emilyelephant:

I second this. I looked at the price of land and it's about $250,000 for 100+ acres

Quoting LuvsHopesDreams:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)