Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tonsillectomy for 13mo old! HELP!

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 4 Replies

Friday my I took my 13 month old Ds to the ENT after telling his pedi something was wrong with him for NINE MONTHS. The ENT looked at his throat and referred us to Boston's children's hospitals ENTs. He says his tonsils are about 3 times the size they should be. They are so big they are blocking his airway. It is most likely what's causing his rhythmic issue. He has developed sleep apnea because of it. He can barely swallow. They aren't infected, of swollen, they are growing at an abnormally fast rate. He says that it could be anything from a thyroid problem to cancer. He needs his tonsils out ASAP and to have them biopsied. I am beyond scared. He has been through more than anyone should have to deal with already. Has anyone else been through anything like this? I seriously need advice and support.
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
2manydiapers
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Breathe, relax.

Is he your first?

Remember even though this is scary, it will be a fix, and the sooner they biopsy the faster the result.

Cancers a scary word I know, don't go all Google insomniac. It'll probably freak you out worse.

Just keep telling yourself its just a tonsillectomy, they happen everyday.

Pm me if you ever need to vent
xXVICKYXx
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
They don't happen to babies every day. And your tonsils are a minor part of your immune system.
He is already at a huge risk for infection. I'm not going all google insomniac. But he has already been through so much. I'm losing hope that he will ever be ok. He doesn't deserve any of the medical shit he goes through.

Quoting 2manydiapers:

Breathe, relax.

Is he your first?

Remember even though this is scary, it will be a fix, and the sooner they biopsy the faster the result.

Cancers a scary word I know, don't go all Google insomniac. It'll probably freak you out worse.

Just keep telling yourself its just a tonsillectomy, they happen everyday.

Pm me if you ever need to vent

ApathyAngel
by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I know it's tough, but just remember that babies are resilient and can deal with much more than we give them credit for.  My daughter has been exposed to so many medications and invasive procedures, I thought she'd be traumatized for life.  But she's just fine, almost 2, and loving life.  I've actually found that it was really kind of ridiculous of me to sit there and feel so sorry for her.  Your baby won't even remember this when he grows up, and even with the complications and the sleep apnea, I'm willing to bet he's not nearly as worried or unhappy as you are.  I'm willing to bet he still plays and laughs and does all the normal things that babies his age do.  I know it's terrifying, but try not to let yourself get too worked up over it.

MichelleJ1000
by Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Good luck to you mama. As scary as it is this really might be the best thing. It is better than having to go for an emergency tonsillectomy at 18 years old. Hoping the best for you and your family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured