Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Full Day Kindergarten

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

I just recently found out that the school my 5 year old will be starting at in the fall does a full day kindergarten. I mean I knew some did half and some did full, I know when I was in kindergarten i went only half day. Anyways, I worked from the time my 5 year old was about 2 until having her sister last year, then worked another 4 months and then have been staying at home the past almost 6 months, so by the time she starts school I'll have been home for about 9 months straight.

I've been planning on going back to work once she starts school because the biggest reason I started staying home was because daycare was so expensive for 2 and I honestly did want to be home, especially for my baby who is now almost a year old and will be 15 months by the time her big sis starts school.

I'm just wondering how well your kindergarteners transitioned to full day kindergarten if you have it where you live. My 5 year old enjoyed daycare for the most part and is super sociable. She was used to being at daycare when I worked, usually from about 7am-4 or so pm so all day, her kindergarten is 8:15-3:05 so it's technically fewer hours and the bus stop is here at our apartment complex so that is nice. If I do drive her to school it is probably a 2 minute drive up the road so it's kind of nice to be so close. I'm just wondering how well 5 year olds adjust to kindergarten for whole days? I mean I assume they are doing a ton of learning, but they must play a lot too right?

I have been working on her numbers, letter, writing etc. and she's pretty good, she writes her name, her sisters name, her best friend's name and Mom. She still is learning the rest of her alphabet, she is very smart but I find her quite difficult to teach :/ that's why I chose not to homeschool like I intended and it is best if I go back to work so I can help us save up some money. However i may end up being able to work from home which is awesome and even if I work a regular job I was wanting to get one that would allow for me to drop her off and pick her up and be home with her after school. So how'd kinder work for you all?

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:09 PM
My oldest DD is in full day kindergarten this year and I cannot say enough good things about it! It has been wonderful for her and they're learning so much more than we ever did in half day :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Callielove01
by New Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM

All that we've ever had here (SC) is full day.. And kids dont notice it! they have a routine, which keeps the child's mind on what they will be doing next. Also, Kids have a skewed sense of time.. so all she will know is when its time to go home (if that makes since lol)

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Thanks! I think she will do well since she is a social butterfly. She already knows two girls she'll be going to school with because they live in our apartment complex and they met when we went to the park. I'm excited for her and see that it can be good for her, I think I'm just uneasy because I thought she'd only be in half days. However I guess it'll be good because I can work longer, whether at home or a regular job and not feel like I'm not there for her. I really really hope to be working from home so I can still be home with my baby (ok she is a toddler now, walking all over, but she's my baby) and I'll get more work done while she naps and big sister is at school :)

Quoting beadingmom17:

My oldest DD is in full day kindergarten this year and I cannot say enough good things about it! It has been wonderful for her and they're learning so much more than we ever did in half day :)

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thank you. That makes sense, kids are like dogs lol. My sis says where she is in Kansas you have to pay if you want full day kindergarten (her son just started this past fall) so I should be thankful :)

Quoting Callielove01:

All that we've ever had here (SC) is full day.. And kids dont notice it! they have a routine, which keeps the child's mind on what they will be doing next. Also, Kids have a skewed sense of time.. so all she will know is when its time to go home (if that makes since lol)

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:51 PM

DD went from no school to full day kindergarten very well.  It was a seamless transition except for the social aspects.  We let her teachers know upfront she has never been in a formal school setting so they were better able to work with her.  I am sure the teachers will appreciate what you have been able to teach her and they can do the rest.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:06 AM

I went to kindergarten all day and that was way back in 1976!! DH did too and that was in 1968/69(he has a late birthday). I remember dd going 1/2 day for a week then the next week all day. It was good because we both worked. I didn't get home until about 5 minutes before she got off the bus. BTW, she loved riding the bus because it made her a big girl. Now it embarrasses her. But she should do fine and she will love it. A lot of the learning is through play and games. A 5 year old has the attention span of a fly and needs a lot of activities though out the day. I also remember having to get dd a mat for quiet time. For about 30-45 minutes the kids had to be quiet and lay on their towel or mat. Most of them went to sleep for a while.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured