Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

On line preschool curriculum ? Does anyone work in preschool or childcare ?

Posted by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
  • 7 Replies

Anyone work in the field who can give me some advice? I work with 1 year olds and young 2 year olds. I'm stuck trying to do my curriculum. I just got back into this kind of work after a long break. I've done this before but not with older kids and a long time ago. I have found a few pre packaged curriculum's for sale online. Does anyone have experience with them? I think it would help me to get started and when I get warmed up I can go on my own. One of the themes I've had in mind is the colors of the rainbow, like each week do a different color. Also birds, insects, or flowers. 

by on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I have never heard of preschool for such young children.  Most curriculums i have seen on line are meant for 3 yr olds or 4 yr olds.   Are you working in daycare or a child development center?

OOPs i just saw you said you were now working with older children.   For spring time I would do flowers and birds.

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We write our own curriculum, but also have a guide to follow. The guide is simply the letter for the week, the color, the number, shape and weekly sign language and spanish (both the same). We have open center time in the first hour of the class time. We lay out items in centers that are interactive. 

Art center usually has the letter of the week. T is for tiger and they glue stripes on the T. Or color a picture with the color of the week. Shape painting with different things. When we did orange, we painted with oranges. 

I run out of ideas for my science and sensory area. I really liked when I had those little Mailbox catalogs that were themed. The place I'm at now doesn't have them. I might buy a subscription for a year. They are monthly themed and have all kinds of ideas for all areas. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I'm with 3-5's, but they do a lot of the same for the 1-2's. Ours 1-2's are in a preschool program they are considered first steps program. They also focus more on emotions and everything sensory. We also are big on letting them do it. Make it something they can do and let it me their own. Garbage bags cut work great as a drop cloth. To control the amount that might be on the floor, I lay out small amounts of whatever at a time. 

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:09 AM

The ladies I work with also love pintrest for online ideas. 

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:13 AM

We did everything in our sensory buckets!  Rice, beans, water, flax seed, sand...

Add the right props and they can work for any theme. 

mommyajay
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Bump
emmy526
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM

you could do themes on transportation, animals,  everyday people like the mailman, garbage truck,  weather,  body parts,  family type themes,  numbers, colors, letters,  ....all of these things can be stretched to last into weeks in a daycare..transportation alone could fill up a month.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)