Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

What's the dumbest parenting advice anyone has ever given you?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
  • 83 Replies

My Grandmother just told my cousin, who recently had a baby, not to cuddle the baby too much or she'd spoil him.

What's the dumbest advice anyone ever gave you? Parenting-related or otherwise?

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hotmomofmakayla
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister(mind you has no kids at all) tries to give me parenting tips cause she watches Super Nanny. 

ApathyAngel
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I was out at breakfast with my mom, my hippy sister, and some of my sister's friends (who are also complete, 100%, all-out hippies).  During the course of the meal, my daughter reached across the table to grab my glass of soda.  I told her "no," and gave her her chocolate milk instead.  Then, one of my sister's friends said I should never, EVER tell my daughter "no," under any circumstance.  She said that such negativity could really damage a child.

I was sure she had to be joking at first, but she was serious.  Oh well.  Some people are strange.  At least my sister was there, who felt much more comfortable telling her how much of an idiot she was than I did.

Mom2wife1
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM

My mom told me to bite my infant. I told  her that my baby would bite my nipples while nursing and my mom told me to bite her finger ...WHAT!

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:23 PM

First I want to preface by saying my son is high functioning autistic, he has an anxiety disorder and sensory processing issues.
My FIL told me if I spanked my son, it would get him to stop stimming... (stimming is an anxiety relieving repetitive soother some children on the spectrum do- some rock, some hummmm etc)
Sure.... that makes sence... hit someone to help them relieve stress.... what ever.... quality parenting...

Zazayam
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:25 PM
2 moms liked this

That I needed to switch to formula because I have such small boobs.

Oh and also not to cuddle your newborn or they'll be spoilled.

BabyMamaFergie
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM

My husband's family planned a dinner out at a restaurant when my daughter was 4 months old. They wanted to meet at 7pm and it takes us an hour to get there. My daughter at this time fought sleep like there was no tomorrow and was so unbelievably fussy and wouldn't want to be held by anyone but me or her daddy and my mother-in-law told me "She is starving. Your breastmilk isn't enough. She wouldn't act like that if you gave her formula." hahahahaha 

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM

When my dd was 3,I had a friend of mine(who did not have a child at the time) tell me that dd's bedtime schedule was too strict."Why can't you lighten up every once in a while?" she said.Well now she has a 3 year old who's bedtime is ALLLL over the map,he is constantly tired,cranky and she is constantly tired and cranky.Yeah I can see what 'lightening up'means..

frillyflower
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:30 PM
That because I nursed my son past six months old, he was going to grow up to be a pervert obsessed with boobs.
Jessicamarquez
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Oh my god lol

Quoting frillyflower:

That because I nursed my son past six months old, he was going to grow up to be a pervert obsessed with boobs.

frillyflower
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Yes, and that came from my sister who let her loser boyfriend beat up her three month old son (busted his lip open, broke his arm, scalded his mouth & throat by feeding him boiled formula) THEN warned him when my mom took her son to the hospital and had then call the cops &CPS so he could run and hide!

Needless to say, her opinion was ignored.

Quoting Jessicamarquez:

Oh my god lol

Quoting frillyflower:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)