Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Bangs are the only haircut for your daughter...

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
  • 25 Replies

Thanks Michelle O. for rockin the Bangs!...  Little girls around the globe are free to play again.

Hair in her eyes, barrettes slipping and pony tail falling out, why are we doing this to our girls?  Boys wake up and start playing; girls wake up and get their hair done, and then redo it all day long.  Its bangs people, short bob and bangs, the only hair cut for girls with straight hair.    

All of the counter arguments are flawed.

1.       Daddy likes it long.  Good for him, he can grow his out, or better yet  he can enjoy it on women (not little girls)

2.       She likes it long.   Great, oh wait, too bad, she can't wash it, comb it out or keep it out of her face.  And even if your princess is that narcissistic that she does it, too bad because it's not how we want her spending her time.  Hide the mirrors! No really, cover the mirrors.

3.       It's so pretty when we fix it up.  What? To be ‘pretty' a girl has to have long hair?  Oh Hale Berry I hope you're not listening! 

4.       She needs it long for dance.   OK, when she gets into Julliard she can have it long, besides she'll have extra time from skipping all those meals, to play with her hair.  Until then (BTW we both know she's not getting into Julliard) the girl haircut is bangs. 

5.       Her best friend has long hair.  This is not a path you ever need to take.  Repeat after me: "In our family girls have smart hair that lets them run, jump and play."

And to those beauty pageant moms out there, Stop!  Put the curling iron, hair spray, and bobby pins away and send your daughter outside to play.  Let her embrace her childhood. Not to mention during the time you're wasting the two of you could be doing something useful like sit-ups, legos, reading, jump roping.  Don't create a princess that believes the key to her future lies in her locks. 

As parents our job is to promote childhood by encouraging playing hard, climbing trees and getting dirty.  We don't want her play interrupted because she has hair in her face, and she needs a quick do-over. Raise a strong confident girl that will be the mover and shaker of tomorrow, not a weak woman that spent her childhood crippled by her hair.  

So thanks Michele, bangs are back, and little girls are free!

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Well that's odd... I just put my daughter's hair up to keep it out of her face.
jillbailey26
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Eh, our girl has long hair.  Her daddy and I both don't like bangs so we don't cut them on her.  She gets up, we brush it and off she goes.  No biggie.  If she had bangs or shorter hair we'd still have to do the same thing.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

CatFishMom
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Wow. I didnt cut my hair until I was twenty-three years old and I regretted every minute of it once it was done. I didnt spend my life playing with my hair or worrying about it. It got done in the morning and that was the end of it and I was outside running, playing, climbing trees and doing whatever I wanted. My daughter will not have her hair cut, either and she won't have any of your stupid ideas of the restrictions that go with long hair. Raise your kid your way and I'll raise mine my way.

beadingmom17
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:07 PM
WTF?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MelanieMans
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM
I think bobs are ugly, ponytails work fine, that's how I did my hair when I was little
Karen_S
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM

DD is growing hers out for Locks of Love, so that she can help kids with cancer.  OK....dare you to call that a flawed argument :-)

colins_mom
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM
seriously? a french braid worked for me till I.was 13.
emilyelephant
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:33 PM

If my daughter wants her hair long, I'll keep it long. I hardly spend time on my own hair, I'm not going to be anal about my daughter's hair and constantly fix it all day. I have shortish hair and falls out of a ponytail much more often than it did when it was long. My dad had my hair cut short when I was 8 AND had moved to a new school. I was teased because it looked terrible and I didn't make any friends for over 6 months when a new girl came.

SecularMomma
by Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:43 PM

That's a bit of an overstatement... lmao

My daughter has curly hair... If I don't brush it morning and night it's a tangled mess. Does that mean she's going to grow up crippled by her hair??? smh

Quoting ToddlersInHeels:
... a weak woman that spent her childhood crippled by her hair.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 11:18 PM

We let dd decide how to do her hair from age 5 on.  She chose a short bob w/ bangs as her style.  She donated the 10 inches she cut of to locks of love.   She enjoys the freedom of short hair but we can still put it up in pig tails when we want to.  I want to get it braided next time she goes in for a trim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)