Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to stop whining?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
  • 28 Replies

My daughter is sixteen, and I swear, all that comes out of her mouth is whining and begging. It's gotten worse, despite us trying to fix the problem. We have her repeat her sentences until she can say something without whining, take things away, and have grounded her on days where it's particularly bad, among several other things. Lately, it's been terrible because she's acted up terribly and we've grounded her. She is extremely hard to reason with. Any suggestions as to how to break this habit? 

by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:43 PM
2 moms liked this

I ignore my children until they can speak in a normal tone. Try that.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Consequences. Ignoring.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindsay4Ambit
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:47 PM

At 16 it might just be a phase. But she'll be old enough to turn out alright if you ignore her for a bit. 

Mrs_Incredible
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I do not listen to whining period. If you would like to speak to me, do so in a normal tone or you will be ignored.

trendy2
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Geez, she really sounds like my six year old son.  I am still trying to figure out how to get him to stop whining.  Drives me batty!

MamaSnaps
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Totally ignore her when she whines. Don't even acknowledge that she is speaking. 

SecularMomma
by on Apr. 29, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Teens who whine typically do it because they havn't developed skills to express their negative emotions in an appropriate way. Don't acknowledge it.  Tell her "I'm not going to respond to this behavior anymore. You will have to find a different way to communicate." Encourage her to express her negative feelings in other ways. You could give her a journal to write her complaints in, so she still feels heard, for example. Or set aside a specific and reasonable amount of time everyday for her to complain while you listen. A child will continue this behavior if it helps them meet their need of being heard. You have to help her find a healthier way to do this.

jojo_star
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Ignore her. Don't react to her whining, hand out the punishement, and leave it at that. It is annoying and can drive you crazy I know, but if she doesn't get a reaction from you other than being grounded, she'll stop.

SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Thursday at 9:25 PM
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:14 AM

What does she whine about?

slightlyperfect

Mommytoaangel
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM
I would do a quarter for every whine or negative word
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN