Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Family portrait clothes ideas????

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 18 Replies

We are doing some outside family portraits in 2 weeks and was looking for some ideas on what colors to wear? It will be my husband and I and we have a 20 month old daughter and a 7 year old daughter! Should girls wear one color and us another or dad in a separate colors? At the same time we are doing pics with his family which is his mom and dad and sister brother in law and 5 year old daughter. With that many people what colors would look good? Do each family in a separate color or just put the girls in separate color. We have not had pics made as a family in 7 years so I really want these to look good! Thanks for any suggestions!!!!!!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I have seen nice picks with everyone in dark jeans and the same color shirt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
3 moms liked this

I love the denim jeans and white shirts.  You could have everyone wear the same color shirts or each family wear a different color.  I find solid tops looks best.  Good luck!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM

For outside either, white on top with blue jeans is always nice for outside. Girls in one color and boys in another is a great one, as long as they work together.

Depends on the 'season' too- some people are VERY good at dressing accordingly and have beautiful pix lol. Me, usually not lol. 

We need ours done SO bad...

mamamiajk
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I would put them in their favorite color but a solid so they stand out better

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM

White does not photograph well in most instances, it's unflattering to skin tones. I would go with beige or tan. Have everyone in solids colors, anything coordinating,  not big prints.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I'm not sure, bump

LoreleiSieja
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
I had family portraits taken one time, with three of us wearing pink Wisconsin hooded-sweatshirts, and the other three wearing black Wisconsin hooded-sweatshirts. We all had on jeans or dark pants. The church had a professional photographer coming in, taking photos inside with lots of lights. It turned out to be very warm that day! We stood in line in our hooded sweatshirts for a long time, and were quite sweaty when our turn finally came up! The photos turned out to have very poor color, as they were taken inside, so our photos look almost black and white. Very disappointing. You shouldn't have the color-problem, since your's will be taken outside. I saw a family photo where all the girls wore black velvet dresses, and all the boys wore black suits. It was very formal, and quite lovely. But it looks okay to have everyone wearing different colors, too. It depends on how formal you want the photo to look, or if you really want the "this is us in normal life" look. You can't really dictate what the relatives are going to wear. you can talk to them, and see what ideas they have. If they have even thought about it! What is your family's ethnic background? If Irish, you could all wear green. If Scottish, you might all wear some bit of plaid. That can work too. Don't forget to focus on getting hair washed, dried, styled. Or seeing a beautician for at rim if it's time. The hair can be more important than the clothes. And talk with your girls AHEAD OF TIME. Let them know how important this is to you. That you really want them to work with the photographer, to put on their prettiest smiles, and it will be such a blessing to you! Kids can be bratty in front of a camera, but with a little advance warning, they may just surprise you.

Raising Creative Children

Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

spitfire.mommy
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
The last family portrait we did. Was with my mom, two little brothers, my little sister and me. We are all in light blue jeans and Champion hoodies. We all have different color hoodies on but they all work together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
woodswalker
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Dark jeans/pants and white shirts/blouses--white dresses for the young girls

kali_mom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I like the look of a dark pant or bottom and similar color top. White usually does not photograph so well. Why don't you reach out to his family and ask what color they will have on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)