Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2yo Eating Advice Needed

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

My son has developed some very picky tendencies when it comes to his food lately.  However they are a little backwards.  He LOVES vegetables... broccoli, brussel sprouts, carrots, peas, green beans, corn.  I should be thrilled about it but the only other food he wants to eat besides them consists of  chicken nuggets, pizza, mac & cheese, fishsticks etc.  

I made a casserole last night with chicken (which he loves) and veggies and guess what he wouldn't touch it.  But I made him a package of steamfresh veggies for lunch and he eats them like they are candy!  

I am very happy he likes his veggies but I'm worried about him not even being willing to try different things.  Anyone else have advice how to get him to try things?  I have thought about just not making him anything else if he doesn't want to try what I've made but I really feel bad making him go hungry  :(

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM

My son is the same way except I can't get him to eat too many veggies. I sometime will offer some kind of "dip" when I want my son to try something new whether it's ranch dressing, ketchup, applesauce, etc. He seems to be more willing to try things if he can dip it in something he knows.

ashley9603
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:25 PM

My twins are that way.Just keep offering small amounts of different food at each meal.My younger twin loves fruit/veggies etc and my other son loves his meat lol....very different eating styles,however I incorporate a little of other foods to see if they will eat it.Sometimes they will sometimes they dont.I wouldnt worry,as long as he is eating an overall healthy diet and is at a good weight.I give my kids a multivitamin as well.

AmiJanell
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
At 2 I wouldn't make separate meals... But I would often deconstruct meals I to their seperate parts ... I found with my son he would eat it like that... And as long as he liked the parts, then there wasn't a problem getting to eat it when he was a little older.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM

a 3 bite rule could be a good thing to use or as others have said decontruct the meal when it is a casserole.  Some people do not like all the foods mixed like that.

Kimberly954
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:00 PM

i do this but basically a one bite rule. you cant tell me you dont like it unless you try it. you try it and dont like it, then i make a pbj sandwich. my 3 year old now eats a LOT more variety. I also deconstruct casseroles and provide plenty of dip choices. She loves A1 for steak and cocktail for fish surprisingly.

a 3 bite rule could be a good thing to use or as others have said decontruct the meal when it is a casserole.  Some people do not like all the foods mixed like that.

vlr4x4
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

OMG the deconstructing a casserole idea is great!!  I am almost 100% sure that would work with him.  As for dips he doesn't like ketchup or anything to dip in.  

And I've tried the 1 bite thing and he just won't eat anything he doesn't care.  I know he will get hungry eventually but I just hate the idea of sending him to bed hungry, don't ask me why it just really upsets me to think of him hungry at all  :(

Thanks guys!!

Lindsay4Ambit
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Do you remember what you ate while you were pregnant? While I was pregnant my doctor told me to eat a variety of foods so my baby would too. He loves veggies and fruit because I ate of ton of them, but eats every single thing I eat. 

sabrtooth1
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I wouldn't eat a chicken cassarole, chicken nuggets, frozen pizza, fishsticks, etc either.  Stop making junk.  Make REAL chicken, real fish, don't cover it in goo, and put it on the plate along with the veggies.  Let him eat what he will eat, and when he's finished, put it away till you make the next meal.  Don't give him dessert, crackers, chips, candy, soda or anything processed.  Don't even have it in the house.  He won't starve.  He won't die.  And eventually, he WILL eat.  Do that with yourself, and your husband too, and eventually, the whole family will eat healthy food, and not be obese.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:21 PM

A lot of kids don't like casseroles.  They don't trust them.  Kids this age are also more likely to try something off of mom's plate than off of their own.  It is an instinctual quirk that tells them that the food is safe to eat because mom is eating it.  

Personally, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it.  Make sure there are always "plain" veggies on the table and offer (but don't pressure) new things at every opportunity.  It will pass

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Don't feed him the junk. Feed him the healthy things he likes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured