Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

No bottle at night?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hey everyone! I took my son for his 12 month check-up yesterday and his doctor asked how I put him to bed at night. I told her that we lay him in his crib and give him a bottle (was formula, now that's hes a year old we've been giving him whole milk instead), and that when he is done with it he falls asleep. She told me that it wasn't good to do that because the milk can sit on his teeth all night and rot them. This is my first child (I'm 20) so I had no idea about this! Now my husband and I don't know how to wean him off it. Last night we tried to give him a bottle with water instead of milk, but he screamed until we gave in. He has never taken a pacifier. I don't want to just let him "cry it out" because I always feel bad when I do, like he is wondering why I won't come to him. Does anyone have some advice on how we can get him to start going to sleep without a bottle? He doesn't sleep through the night yet either, so I don't know how we would get him back to sleep when he wakes up. His dental health has always been important to me, we always make sure to brush them at least twice a day, so I am really worried about this situation! If anyone has ever had to let their baby start crying it out, do they cry for a long time every night? Or just until they get used to soothing themselves? Thanks!

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I never did cry it out. Instead, I would put them in the crib and sit beside it, singing, rubbing their back, whatever, until they fell asleep. Each day I would lessen the time by a few minutes, then slowly start edging further across the room. It's a process and starting it as late as you are is going to be more difficult (I did this at, like, a handful of months depending on my child and what he was ready for). Theres actually a name for this method but I didnt know when I did it and dont remember now what it is. I have zero advice on the bottle situation, I nursed, but my boys were both pacifier babies and we went cold turkey, but that was at close to two, not one. They didnt cry much at all, just a couple of rough nights but we would sit with them for a while if necessary.

As for the sleeping through the night and you dont know how youll get him back to sleep-does that mean you give him a bottle when he wakes? Thats a learned habit by this point and one you have to work hard to break. He has no physical necessity to eat in the middle of the night, it's only a comfort now, so go in, lay him back down and rub his back or sing, whatever for a few minutes, then leave. Repeat if necessary. It's not easy but it has a lot of benefits for everyone in the long run.

Bmat
by Barb on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

It may be time to eliminate the bottle and use a sippy or cup.  If he objects to not getting a bottle at night,  I agree with just putting water in the bottle. It may take extra comforting and lots of extra time for you, but eventually he'll no longer feel that he needs the bottle. After you clean his teeth at night, he shouldn't get anything other than water.

Ichthus
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM

You could lessen the amount of milk in the bottle each night until there's pretty much nothing in it. And/or maybe water it down more and more, too, so it slowly becomes more water than milk. Then if he still needs something to go to sleep, he'll be used to the water.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Have you thought about slowly diluting the milk with water? 75% milk to 25% water for a few days, then half and half for a few days, then 25% milk to 75% water for a few days, then finally water.

Also, try moving the bottle up farther in the bedtime routine. My daughter still got a bottle of milk at night well past her first birthday, but it was first in the bedtime routine, followed by book, songs, rocking, and then into the crib with her lovey and she would fall asleep on her own.

What is the bedtime routine right now?

ABKJames
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Right now when he is ready for bed we just change his diaper and put  him in pjs, brush his teeth and lay him down with a bottle. I have books for him and I will start reading to him before bed now, maybe it will help him wind down. Thanks!

Quoting jhslove:

Have you thought about slowly diluting the milk with water? 75% milk to 25% water for a few days, then half and half for a few days, then 25% milk to 75% water for a few days, then finally water.

Also, try moving the bottle up farther in the bedtime routine. My daughter still got a bottle of milk at night well past her first birthday, but it was first in the bedtime routine, followed by book, songs, rocking, and then into the crib with her lovey and she would fall asleep on her own.

What is the bedtime routine right now?

ABKJames
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for this advice! I will try it. I hate letting him cry, and if I'm in the room he will still cry but at least he will know I'm not abandoning him!

Quoting CatFishMom:

I never did cry it out. Instead, I would put them in the crib and sit beside it, singing, rubbing their back, whatever, until they fell asleep. Each day I would lessen the time by a few minutes, then slowly start edging further across the room. It's a process and starting it as late as you are is going to be more difficult (I did this at, like, a handful of months depending on my child and what he was ready for). Theres actually a name for this method but I didnt know when I did it and dont remember now what it is. I have zero advice on the bottle situation, I nursed, but my boys were both pacifier babies and we went cold turkey, but that was at close to two, not one. They didnt cry much at all, just a couple of rough nights but we would sit with them for a while if necessary.

As for the sleeping through the night and you dont know how youll get him back to sleep-does that mean you give him a bottle when he wakes? Thats a learned habit by this point and one you have to work hard to break. He has no physical necessity to eat in the middle of the night, it's only a comfort now, so go in, lay him back down and rub his back or sing, whatever for a few minutes, then leave. Repeat if necessary. It's not easy but it has a lot of benefits for everyone in the long run.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Has he seen a pediatric dentist yet?  They could give you tips on this.  DD was an extended nurser and she was still waking up at night for this age.

momoftwo0406
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I have no clue I took the bottle away all together at 9 months with both my kids. They never got anything at night and I believe in the CIO method if done right. Plus both my kids slept all night from pretty much birth. (Bed at 8 and they would sleep till 4-6 with out waking).

But here is a bump and I hope someone can give you some good ideas :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Gradually bring him off the bedtime bottle...we did this with our twins and it took 6 weeks (could be shorter)we started with the whole milk,then gradually brought him down to water.I made sure they got enough to drink and eat during the day as well.

Quoting ABKJames:

Hey everyone! I took my son for his 12 month check-up yesterday and his doctor asked how I put him to bed at night. I told her that we lay him in his crib and give him a bottle (was formula, now that's hes a year old we've been giving him whole milk instead), and that when he is done with it he falls asleep. She told me that it wasn't good to do that because the milk can sit on his teeth all night and rot them. This is my first child (I'm 20) so I had no idea about this! Now my husband and I don't know how to wean him off it. Last night we tried to give him a bottle with water instead of milk, but he screamed until we gave in. He has never taken a pacifier. I don't want to just let him "cry it out" because I always feel bad when I do, like he is wondering why I won't come to him. Does anyone have some advice on how we can get him to start going to sleep without a bottle? He doesn't sleep through the night yet either, so I don't know how we would get him back to sleep when he wakes up. His dental health has always been important to me, we always make sure to brush them at least twice a day, so I am really worried about this situation! If anyone has ever had to let their baby start crying it out, do they cry for a long time every night? Or just until they get used to soothing themselves? Thanks!

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I agree if he is one then you should just get rid of the bottles all together and switch to a sippy cup instead. Stay in a routine to get him use to knowing that he is not going to get anything to drink when its bed time.

You might just have to deal with the crying (which will not last forever) even though it may be tough for awhile but like the previous mother said just don't let him cry. Find a way to soothe him whether its rocking him, rubbing his back, doing a bath and book routine until he gets use to the fact that there will be no more drinks taken in the bed.

Good luck with everything.

Most important stay consistent with your routine or it will just make things harder for you.

Quoting Bmat:

It may be time to eliminate the bottle and use a sippy or cup.  If he objects to not getting a bottle at night,  I agree with just putting water in the bottle. It may take extra comforting and lots of extra time for you, but eventually he'll no longer feel that he needs the bottle. After you clean his teeth at night, he shouldn't get anything other than water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)