Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Need some advice about hair dye!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM
  • 18 Replies

Mobile Photo

Ok so I have naturally dark brown almost black hair. Well I got the smart idea of dip dying it bright red. Long story short I'm not liking it. My hair lady did an amazing job! It's just not for me. I asked her what to do and she said get a darker shade and I can do it at home. So I got the Splat dark red and it darkened it up some but it's still too red. What should I do?! I want it back to my natural dark color. She bleached my hair then put a semipermenant color on it. Any ideas on what I can do myself I fix it. I don't have the extra $$ right now to go to a salon again. Thanks so much! I put a photo to show how it was before and after I darkened it a little.
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I would just grow it out or cut it off.  I like the deeper shade you got it to and that should eventually fade out to natural color.  Did she have to bleach for the bright red?  How long has it been dyed like this for?  It could fade alot more like mine does when i get it colored.   I have dark brown hair as well.

LMenkes
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Sorry not much advvice, but I do love the dark red you got it to!

RodeoMom87
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:09 PM
It was bleached first. I had it done this past Saturday.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I am loving that tone too.

Quoting LMenkes:

Sorry not much advvice, but I do love the dark red you got it to!

elzmnsf
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:09 PM
I really like the dark red. I don't know for sure, but I would think to have like a reversal of the bleaching (if even possible) it would be best to leave it to a pro... If you really hate it, maybe get it cut off. A shame really because you have lovely hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

About every six weeks go dark again. You can do that at home.

emilyelephant
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM

You should just be able to buy dark brown dye and it will pretty much cover it, that red will fade/wash out soon anyway

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM
I really like the dark red. You don't want to do too much too quickly. Bleach does alot of damage and each coloring doesn't help. The semi permanent will fade a little but until the area that you bleached grows out, it won't look like it did. keep dying with a drk color every couple of weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama110981
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Im a hair stylist. U cant just dye it dark and expect it to cover completely. The red will pop threw even if u go jet black. The least damaging way is to buy a clarifying shampoo. And good brand name not suave or herbel essance or pantine...etc. wash ur hair 2-3 times a day to pull most of the color u have out. Than when choosing a new base color u want to choose a "cool" color. As in nothing with warmth to tone down whatever red is left in ur hair
Mama110981
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 12:33 AM
It will fade to pink than to orange

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would just grow it out or cut it off.  I like the deeper shade you got it to and that should eventually fade out to natural color.  Did she have to bleach for the bright red?  How long has it been dyed like this for?  It could fade alot more like mine does when i get it colored.   I have dark brown hair as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN