Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Having problems with another kid at preschool

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 25 Replies

So my son is 3 years old and has attended preschool for the last year now. About 3 months my son would come home calling us poo poo head, jerk, saying he hated us, and doing an annoying repeating thing after we would say something to him. I was concerned because he was not learning this sort of behavior at home so I figured maybe from kids at school. I expressed my concerns with the teacher who then informed me that she was having problems with one of the other boys who was teaching the others that stuff. I told her I didn't feel it was right that my son learn all of this and it was coming from one child. I get he is in school now and that sort of things will be said etc I just felt the way to handle the problem was for her to talk with his mother. Over the time things got a bit better but today I found some disturbing info. As the teacher and I were talking she mentioned she had to talk to that little boys mom again because lately he has been saying to the other kids "I want to kill you, I'm going to slit your throat, I'm going to shove your dead body in a trash can", he is 4 by the way...... First off my concern is where is he learning this from? Is this the kind of language used at home? I just fear not only for this child but my own now. I feel he is way to young to be exposed to this sort of talk, especially at preschool by a fellow classmate. The teacher said she would talk to the mother of the child again but I feel it will not stop. Now I'm debating whether or not I should find a new preschool? How would some of you handle this situation?

by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlightlyPerfect
5 nominations, and my answer is still no.
Today at 9:03 AM
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:50 PM

What kind of preschool is this?

slightlyperfect

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Oh man.  Tough call.    You need to follow your gut on this.

crazy4u49033
by Member on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this
Does the preschool have a director? If so, talk to her ASAP. This needs to be addressed now. The talk of killing would not fly in my classroom .
Brycesmommy21
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Well its a daycare/ preschool. Daycare for older kids that are in elementary, and for those 2-4 they are in a preschool setting. My son and the other kid are in the preschool class and not really exposed to the older kids.

raquel100
by on Apr. 30, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Yes, I would definetely speak to the director of the school!

Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I would maybe sit in and see how the teacher is addressing it. I am a preschool teacher and yes, around that age they will call each other that stuff.  It is a hard call on how to react, is it attention based or what. Sometimes all you need to do is tell the other children who came to tell you, oh do you think you area >>>> whatever? No you aren't then I wouldn't listen to them. There does need to be an expectation that potty words are not allowed and that calling names is not allowed as well. Only one reminder and the child should be in time out. I also have ones in time out that yell and call me poo, stupid and I tell them I do not listen to those names and will not talk to them while they call me names. I have even asked the other children, " do you think I am a poo head, okay I didn't think I was a poo head" I hope by this the children will problem solve and not laugh or feed into the other attention seeking child's behavior. Really each case is diffrent and the level the child went to with it is extreme. I would talk to the director because they likely have to have a system for reporting and confrencing with parents. I would give the school time to correct it, it is a hard call because being in a classroom is exposing them to things, but that will also happen in life. It is how his expectaions and consequences are set as to where he goes with it. 

kali_mom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This needs to be escalated above the teacher to the Director. I would be sitting in as soon as possible to watch how this little one interacts with the other children. I would possibly schedule a one on one with the parent(s) of the child saying the disturbing things. This needs to be addressed right away IMO.
CameronsMommy23
by on May. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with escalating the issue to a director or another higher authority. No little kid should be threatening others or talking that way. If escalating it doesn't get results I'd think about finding a new pre school. Maybe that child should be removed for the safety of the others!
marisab
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM
this immediately
Quoting crazy4u49033:

Does the preschool have a director? If so, talk to her ASAP. This needs to be addressed now. The talk of killing would not fly in my classroom .

leanntx
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
ASAP. Like today!

Quoting crazy4u49033:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)