Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To work, or not to work?

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 42 Replies
So I am going to be 30 weeks pregnant on Sunday, and I have been thinking about getting a job. But every time I picture myself going and applying for a job, I think, are they going to say no because in 2 months I have to go on maternity leave? I know that it's illegal to do that, but come on, you know employers are thinking it. My husband works and we are doing all right financially now, but next week we are going to start renting our own house (currently we live with my FIL and pay bills but no rent). I have been crunching the numbers, and DH makes just enough for us to pay our bills, rent, and buy food. Now the problem is that we have NOTHING for this baby that is going to be here in 2 and a half months because the 7 month old that we had 2 years ago passed away and I donated everything she had to charity. So before I talk to my DH tonight about maybe starting a job hunt (he doesn't think I should work BTW), can anyone give me advice? Or has anyone been in a similar situation?
by on May. 1, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Garage sales and thrift stores were good for me when I had a baby but not much money.

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I agree that you're not likely to get a job this close to giving birth.  Good luck

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Whenever we re-adressed finances it helped a ton.

Refinanced cars, requested better deals on phone and internet plans, even ditched the cable. (well that was more for sanity lol)

Just rethink what you spend and gl!! (Also consider babysitting!)
MJP76
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yeah, most business would consider you a liability because of being pregnant. Then also there's the whole maturnity leave, that most businesses cringe at..lol

MamaSnaps
by on May. 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

What is your earning potential? If it's minimum wage or under about $15 per hour you will end up costing yourself more to go to work with the cost of daycare and the expenses related to getting to and from work. In some areas it's more than $15 per hour. 

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 1, 2013 at 5:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, technically, it is illegal for them to not hire you based on strictly on you being pregnant, but I agree that they are going to wonder right off the bat how much time you are going to be taking off for doctor's appointments and maternit leave, and the big question of if you would come back at all once the baby is here.  While you could assure them all you want (although they could never legall ask you any of those questions anyway), they would be thinking it.

As other posters have suggested, if money is the big issue, I would start focusing my time and energy on readjusting.  Our electric company does peak and off peak electric hours were electric is dirt cheap from 7pm until noon but MUCH higher from noon-7pm M-F.  We run VERY little during that time.  Maybe see if your electric company does that.  See if your water company does anything special?  Make your own cleaning products (LOADS cheaper).  Start making your own everything from scratch (sauces, mixes, and such).  Coupon.  Wear some clothes more than once to avoid doing laundry as often.  Get rid of cable/satelite (if you have it) and just use Netflix and/or Hulu+.  Avoid eating out.  Make a menu and eat cheap.  Make it your goal to shave $X off your grocery bill this week.  Do your own nails (if you get them done).

MentorMom1
by on May. 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, indeed I have been in your shoes. Let me share this: when I put my faith in my husband, who didn't earn very much, and gave myself to the care of my babies, we were provided for.

Your baby wants and needs a relaxed mom. That's more important than anything. Now that you're heading toward your due date, you need to take care of yourself.

I went happily to garage sales and flea markets, poking around for little baby things. I was open to anything anyone offered. We had one car, made bookshelves out of cinderblocks, and only a portable washing machine with our first one. I didn't own a dryer until baby number three, and hung out the cloth diapers on the clothes line. And we were very happy.  I don't know how we did it!  (Breastfeeding really saved money!) But the experience taught me to live on what my husband earned, and it made him feel so proud. Everything will turn out just fine. Just wait and see. You will be provided for. 

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I would be doing whatever it takes to earn some money to build up some savings for emergencies, maybe you could do some before or after school care for kids, elder-care perhaps. You can pick up most of what you need for the baby from craigslist or garage sales. Will someone give you a shower?

mnivis01
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Although its highly unlikely someone will hire you, its still possiable. My work hired someone when they were 7 months pregnant.
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Check the "Frugalistas" group, they can give you tons of help living cheaper!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured