Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am currently a full time student at a local college. We pay a good amount of money OOP for this beacuse we do not qualify for financial aid. But we are having another baby and I know we can not afford both with out sacrificing somwhere else.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with completely online schools like Penn Foster or anything like that?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
orliesmom
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM

$3000 is still steep for 6 months. I have looked into other online schools that want the majority of tuition up front which I can not do. This breaks it into $500  a month which if I was doing that I may as well stay in the nursing program and lessen my class load  I would still be paying less than that. About half for part time

Quoting JeremysMom:

I highly recommend Western Governors University. They do not have an associates degree program but they have a Bachelors degree in Accounting. Tuition is $3000 every 6 months and you can complete as many hours as you want in those 6 months.

http://www.wgu.edu/business/online_business_bachelor

If this is not what you are looking for, let me know. There are other colleges as well.

Quoting orliesmom:

Well I had originally intended to be a RN but since that can not be done online I needed to pick something else so I was thinking Associates In Accounting that also offers the Bachelor degree as well.

Quoting JeremysMom:

I would stay away from Penn Foster and other for profit schools. What is your major? I can help find you an accredited program/school that will cost much less than for profit schools.

JeremysMom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I think you should stay with RN then and just do part time. It really sounds like you want to do RN and I think you would regret not doing it later on. I understand wanting to have your degree by 30. I am 30 and I am still working on mine. I had to take a break due to lack of money but now I have earned 2 scholarships and will be returning soon. As far as $3000 being steep, for an online not for profit school, it's actually very reasonable. Most colleges charge between $200-$500 per credit hour! I do think your best bet is to stick with RN.

Quoting orliesmom:

$3000 is still steep for 6 months. I have looked into other online schools that want the majority of tuition up front which I can not do. This breaks it into $500  a month which if I was doing that I may as well stay in the nursing program and lessen my class load  I would still be paying less than that. About half for part time

Quoting JeremysMom:

I highly recommend Western Governors University. They do not have an associates degree program but they have a Bachelors degree in Accounting. Tuition is $3000 every 6 months and you can complete as many hours as you want in those 6 months.

If this is not what you are looking for, let me know. There are other colleges as well.

Quoting orliesmom:

Well I had originally intended to be a RN but since that can not be done online I needed to pick something else so I was thinking Associates In Accounting that also offers the Bachelor degree as well.

Quoting JeremysMom:

I would stay away from Penn Foster and other for profit schools. What is your major? I can help find you an accredited program/school that will cost much less than for profit schools.

orliesmom
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I dont really care if its a non profit or for profit as long as its accredited and i can afford it

Quoting JeremysMom:

I think you should stay with RN then and just do part time. It really sounds like you want to do RN and I think you would regret not doing it later on. I understand wanting to have your degree by 30. I am 30 and I am still working on mine. I had to take a break due to lack of money but now I have earned 2 scholarships and will be returning soon. As far as $3000 being steep, for an online not for profit school, it's actually very reasonable. Most colleges charge between $200-$500 per credit hour! I do think your best bet is to stick with RN.

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

JeremysMom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM
You will care when you spend thousands on a degree and can't find a job because you got your degree from a for profit school. For profit schools have a bad rep for not being great schools. They want you money, so they keep you happy for 4 years while you really don't learn much at all. Employers know this so they stay away from graduates from those schools. For profit schools are nationally accredited. You want a school that us regionally accredited.

Quoting orliesmom:

I dont really care if its a non profit or for profit as long as its accredited and i can afford it

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

orliesmom
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I really would like to just keep going for RN but after talking with the school and my hubby it just will not work, The school here is different than the one I originally started going to. Before I was taking evening classes and hubby could stay home with the kids. This new school doesnt do any classes after 5 for my area of study so I am pretty much screwed. We couldnt afford daycare on top of school so I really need to find something that works. Its mostly the price. I cannot afford to pay much up front. Before I had 4 months to pay the cost of that semesters tuition. I can not do a $500 monthly payment that is more than my car payment. Not doable at all with baby #5 on the way. I have already taken all the classes I can take online as well so I can not take anything else unless its on campus. Im getting so tired of trying to fix this it almost makes me want to just quit. and just be home forever but the thought of that just pisses me off more. lol

Quoting JeremysMom:

You will care when you spend thousands on a degree and can't find a job because you got your degree from a for profit school. For profit schools have a bad rep for not being great schools. They want you money, so they keep you happy for 4 years while you really don't learn much at all. Employers know this so they stay away from graduates from those schools. For profit schools are nationally accredited. You want a school that us regionally accredited.

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yea, that is why we are switching schools this time around! LOL!  It was fine the first time, but then we were like "Really?"  Now we are taking classes at Arizona State University (ASU).

Quoting orliesmom:

Oh NVM lol I just looked into it and everything is taught from a "biblical perspective" not really into the whole god thing.

Quoting anotherandree:

My husband and I are both doing online schools (again).  We both graduated from Liberty University with Master's degrees.  We qualified for financial aid, though.  I am doing my PhD in the fall, but that will not be online.

enlightened_24
by on May. 2, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I enrolled at a local college and took all my classes online. I was scared because I heard that online schools are frowned upon by employers...IDK how true that is, but just in case I had a physical campus. I am wanting to try phoenix online but again, if online colleges are not worth it then I wouldnt waste my time. I also find its harder to get assistnace-financially-uunless you go to school full time at most universities...Good luck! RN is a great program.

JeremysMom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Do you think you might qualify for financial aid after the baby is born? What about student loans? I normally don't encourage student loans but maybe you could take out half of what the tuition/daycare costs would be and pay the other half out of pocket.

Quoting orliesmom:

I really would like to just keep going for RN but after talking with the school and my hubby it just will not work, The school here is different than the one I originally started going to. Before I was taking evening classes and hubby could stay home with the kids. This new school doesnt do any classes after 5 for my area of study so I am pretty much screwed. We couldnt afford daycare on top of school so I really need to find something that works. Its mostly the price. I cannot afford to pay much up front. Before I had 4 months to pay the cost of that semesters tuition. I can not do a $500 monthly payment that is more than my car payment. Not doable at all with baby #5 on the way. I have already taken all the classes I can take online as well so I can not take anything else unless its on campus. Im getting so tired of trying to fix this it almost makes me want to just quit. and just be home forever but the thought of that just pisses me off more. lol

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

Quoting orliesmom:

Quoting JeremysMom:

orliesmom
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I have been looking in to a bunch on online schools today and am wondering why you say to stay away from Penn Foster? They seem to be both regionally and nationally accredited if my research is correct and they are a lot more flixble payment wise than all the other schools I have come accross.

Quoting JeremysMom:

carinsmommy
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I go to University of Phoenix and love it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)