Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am currently a full time student at a local college. We pay a good amount of money OOP for this beacuse we do not qualify for financial aid. But we are having another baby and I know we can not afford both with out sacrificing somwhere else.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with completely online schools like Penn Foster or anything like that?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
JeremysMom
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:44 PM
The Associates and Bachelor degree programs are only nationally accredited. If you attend Penn Foster and later try to transfer, your classes from PF will not transfer. Also, if you ever want to go to grad school, they will not accept a degree from Penn State or any other nationally accredited only school.

Quoting orliesmom:

I have been looking in to a bunch on online schools today and am wondering why you say to stay away from Penn Foster? They seem to be both regionally and nationally accredited if my research is correct and they are a lot more flixble payment wise than all the other schools I have come accross.

Quoting JeremysMom:

I would stay away from Penn Foster and other for profit schools. What is your major? I can help find you an accredited program/school that will cost much less than for profit schools.

Asenath
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I go to school online, Ashford University. I love it, everyone is pretty nice and my advisor is always available to me. It can be pretty hard because the classes are only 5 wks long, and they try to not leave anything out. I do it while my son, and the other kids I watch are asleep or during their free-play time. I love being able to do something for me, our future, keep my brain moving, and still not loose anytime with my son! 

LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I'm due in October and I start online classes in September, we'll see how it goes
godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
No I do not go to school.
aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 3:33 PM

My fiance is getting his Bachelors in Networ Security from ECPI, he's in an eccelerated program and will have his BA in about 2 1/2 years. So far everything is going well, but it takes a lot of discipline, also depends on what you are going for because you are limited in what programs are available online.

Diane1223
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I graduated in 2004 with a bachelor's in criminal justice.  I have never taken online classes; they are not for me. I do better in a classroom :)

orliesmom
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM

I looked into Ashford I talked to them last night as a matter of fact but they are expensive as well. I can not afford to pay over $1000 in 5 weeks! I mean I could but I would be sacrifing something in the home lol (car payment, part of the rent lol) ANd with 4 kids you can imagine how much food we buy.

Quoting Asenath:

I go to school online, Ashford University. I love it, everyone is pretty nice and my advisor is always available to me. It can be pretty hard because the classes are only 5 wks long, and they try to not leave anything out. I do it while my son, and the other kids I watch are asleep or during their free-play time. I love being able to do something for me, our future, keep my brain moving, and still not loose anytime with my son! 

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:37 PM
Online schools are a complete rip off. Degrees from them will rarely get an employer to take you seriously.

I would try to takr online classes through local community colleges or universities.
peaceseeker84
by on May. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Me too!

Quoting letstalk747:

no i teach it

love you signPeaceSeeker84

bookdragon
by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Thankfully I do qualify for financial aid otherwise I would not be a full time student at a local college. I'm working towards a degree in Small Business Management so that I can help my DH open a family business.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)