Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

I am currently a full time student at a local college. We pay a good amount of money OOP for this beacuse we do not qualify for financial aid. But we are having another baby and I know we can not afford both with out sacrificing somwhere else.  I am wondering if anyone has any experience with completely online schools like Penn Foster or anything like that?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Replies (31-34):
ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I am currently going to school through Harrison College. I
Asenath
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

lol Oh yea, I kow well how much they eat. I babysit anywhere between 1-9 extra kids on a given day. My sister has 6, and a good friend of mine has 6. Ashford is definatly not the cheapest, but the only online school that has an Anthropology program. Thankfully I recieve financial aide. I have never heard of anyone not qualifying, especially with 4 kids. Why will the government not give it to you? if you dont mind my prying :)

Quoting orliesmom:

I looked into Ashford I talked to them last night as a matter of fact but they are expensive as well. I can not afford to pay over $1000 in 5 weeks! I mean I could but I would be sacrifing something in the home lol (car payment, part of the rent lol) ANd with 4 kids you can imagine how much food we buy.

Quoting Asenath:

I go to school online, Ashford University. I love it, everyone is pretty nice and my advisor is always available to me. It can be pretty hard because the classes are only 5 wks long, and they try to not leave anything out. I do it while my son, and the other kids I watch are asleep or during their free-play time. I love being able to do something for me, our future, keep my brain moving, and still not loose anytime with my son! 

orliesmom
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:37 PM

This is what I am trying to do but the online classes are more than taking the class at the school but they are still expensive. I did mention somewhere here that I am having to pay out of state tuition.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Online schools are a complete rip off. Degrees from them will rarely get an employer to take you seriously.

I would try to takr online classes through local community colleges or universities.

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

For me, it's worth it to take them from a place you know is accredited and is there. If you're having an issue and need that hands on help you can take the trip to the college and get that help. It also looks so much better. People see online degrees when hiring and they will choose someone who went to a brick and mortar school over someone who went to an online school. There is a vast difference in the quality of education given.

Also, in a year or so when your little one is bigger and it's easier for you to leave him/her with a sitter you can attend the classes not offered online and get that time away. I don't know about you but for me it was harder to do online classes than to go to class with kids because they are too little to understand that mommy needs an hour to do this timed test.

Also, many schools offer hybrid classes as well. You can do half online and half in class. That would give you the option of being home more often but being in class to gain the hands on skills and to be able to directly ask questions rather then having an hour while baby is napping to work and being stuck, emailing the professor, and not getting an email back for X amount of time, even in that situation a quick 30 minut response eats half the time you've got to work before the baby is up and needing to eat and be changed and played with.

These are just things I've learned and things I'd like to pass on to you to at least think about before jumping in because it is a lot of money.

Quoting orliesmom:

This is what I am trying to do but the online classes are more than taking the class at the school but they are still expensive. I did mention somewhere here that I am having to pay out of state tuition.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Online schools are a complete rip off. Degrees from them will rarely get an employer to take you seriously.

I would try to takr online classes through local community colleges or universities.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)