Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

My son's preschool teacher said this to him...

Posted by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM
  • 26 Replies

I dropped my soon to be kindergartener off at pre-school.  The class was rushed that morning as one of the teachers opened the class more than five minutes late.  My son was told by his pre-school teacher to follow directions.  He had just finished washing his hands and was preparing to sit down for breakfast with his class.  She firmly sat him down in a chair and told him, "You are in class now I don't know what goes on in your house but here we follow directions!"  I looked at her with all sorts of venom, turned on my feet and called the center director to file a complaint.  I pulled both of my boys out for two weeks vacation. I wrote the regional director an email also letting them know what the teacher said.

I am extremely leary about taking my boys back to this center.  I need some advice.  What else should I do?  The program director did call me and she said that I should call her back to make an appointment so that we can talk.  In my email I asked for a formal apology from the pre-school teacher.  To date I've received one phone call.  WWYD?

by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xoch86
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM

So talk to the director. Why call and ask to talk to the just to ignore them..

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:16 PM

When did this happen?

Radellia
by Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:17 PM
4 moms liked this
There needs to be a meeting with that instructor I think... If she is having some sort of issue with your child, it needs to be addressed with you and she should never speak to your child like that! A reminder to follow instructions if he wasn't, and a conversation with the parents if it continues... Talking to a child like that - unacceptable!

If need be, I'd say request for a new class/different teacher... If the extreme, new school
EmbinRiggs
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:20 PM

want to make sure I understand... Because he was washing his hands he got yelled at for not following directions?

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2013 at 7:52 PM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like she was in a pissy mood, and it also sounds like your son doesn't typically follow direction for her. I don't think I'd be running to the director over it, are you going to pull your kids out of every activity when they run into problems or are you going to help them resolve problems and be resilient people?

Donnah118
by on May. 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I probably would have asked to speak to the instructor at the end of the day when I picked him up and spoke to her about it. If it continued or he seemed very unhappy there I would go to the Director.

baileyquarters
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I would definitely take it up with the director and see if I felt comfortable sending my child there again, depending on how the everything went. I assume the tone of the situation bothered you if you pulled your kid(s) out for 2 weeks. I'd be concerned about what went in when I wasn't there.
MommyMica
by on May. 1, 2013 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I would have immediately addressed the issue at that moment. Not, only would I have spoken up on my child's behalf (if I don't who will?), but I would have also spoken with the director at that time.

With that being said, I do not think that I would go any longer without addressing this issue. Regardless of what the child was or was not doing, that comment was inappropriate, unprofessional and should be addressed.

Good luck mama, hopefully the issue is resolved and your little guy can have a pleasant rest of the school year!

---terrah---
by on May. 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I tend to agree with some of the other moms. No matter what....a preschool teacher should not be talking to a student the way that this particular teacher talked to your DS. I don't care what her issue is. If she's having a bad day...that's too bad...you don't take it out on a child.

If it were me, I would have immediately said something to her the minute I overheard her say what she said. I wouldn't have waited. I would have said something like "that is not an appropriate way to talk to any child". If the teacher still didn't apologize, then I would have a parent-teacher conference and bring up my issue at that time.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have talked with the teacher before running to the director.  You also added fuel to the fire by taking this to the regional director. You really blew it out of proportion. I can only imagine what you will be like when he starts public/private school. You will run to the principal when your son gets reprimanded by his teacher!! Your actions are one of the MAIN reasons teachers have such a hard time in the classrooms!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN