Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you think a Phsycologist would help?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 6 Replies

I have 3 children 2 that I Believe and Pedi agrees that they have OCD.  My son who is 7 can't stand for things to be out of place. He has a place for everything and If I clean his room up and move things around he freaks and will rearrange it all. He does not have toys in his room just a desk and office stuff, that's his thing he's not really into toys but give him paper, pens, a stapler and a roll of tape and he is one happy kid! I normally leave his desk alone and just pick up around it as his room is usually always clean but a couple weeks ago I decided to go through his desk and declutter it and try to organize it alittle and when he got home from school he had a total meltdown. Panicing because it wasn't like he wanted it. He also will not go to bed at night if it isn't exactly as he wants it. Even in the morning before school. He will not leave till his bed is made and his clothes are picked up. I know this sounds like a dream to some parents "a kid who's actually wants things clean" lol. But it's an obsession. If I tell her don't worry about making your bed we are running late just get your shoes on and let's go. He wil panic!  He also obsesses over ideas. At christmas  time My sister in law wanted them to look online on Amazon to give her ideas for christimas presents. He saw a laptop on the site and went on and on about how he wanted a laptop. We told him he "no" and gave him ideas of other things to look at but he would not look at anything else just went on and on and on about this stupid Laptop. His newest thing is showers. He has a bedwetting issue and showers most morning before school because of this but everynight he insists he is dirty and needs a shower if I tell him no he will flip out about how he is dirty and sweaty and can't sleep unless he has a shower, I do eventually give in, as it is only a shower but either way it's definetly not a normal reaction for most children

My youngest daughter, who is 5. has had a "wet" issue since she was 2. When she was 2 she would change her shirt constantly because she would say it was wet. I didn't care I would just have her put the shirt back in the drawer unless it really was dirty, of course. Well it developed quickly, Now when she goes to the bathroom she wipes and wipes and wipes because she never feels dry. I have talked to the doctor about this when she was 4 and they sent us to a pshycologist. I didn't like him though. His office was not kid friendly at all. He had a wall sized painting of two guys boxing. and nothing for kids at all. He asked me a bunch of questions about her. While she colored on the paper that I brought with us. she was sitting on the floor coloring on a clipboard with a marker. ( I should mention that she also does not talk to anyone she chooses not to talk to. Even her teacher and close family at times. Her talking always has to be on her terms) when we were done talking about her I could tell she was uncomfortable with us talking about her. He asked her what she was coloring and she looked at me and told me it was a picture of a monkey. He asked her what kind of monkey it was, again she looked at me and said " An angry monkey" ( I was thinking, right! that's the perfect answer to give a psychologist haha) anyway he told me that he didn't think her problems were really severe enough to come back and he walked us out. Then she started to throw a fit because she wanted something ( I don't remember what is was.) but she was whining and pulling on my arm and he said "hmm.. this behavior is interesting though maybe you should come back and see me" we made the appt but cancelled it and never went back. I thought it was strange he thought a little tantrum was odd but her obsessing over being wet was no big deal. plus he was not kid friendly at all. I've thought about talking to the Pedi again about an actual children psycologist but not sure if it would help. I DO NOT want them on medicine but I also do not wnt to over look something that could maybe be helped with therapy.

They both have other issues that I have't listed as well. Do you think a psycologist would be helpful here or do you think I just need to be sterner and not allow them to continue these behaviors. I have looked at Autism but they do not have enough symptoms to be considered even mildly. any advice?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
CasandraFinlay
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

Occupational therapy through a psychologist. It will help them 'cope' when things aren't just right.

OCD in children isn't as unusual as you may think. The sooner you get them in, the more apt they are at learning new techniques on how they can reprocess a situation.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 2, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

It couldn't hurt to seek out a child psychologist.

Has your 7 year old always been like this or is it a newer behavior? If it is a newer behavior, it could be his way of asserting independence and having control of his choices.

With your daughter, it could be a sensory issue. Good luck!

CasandraFinlay
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090617123658.htm

"Often, parents of children with OCD will help their children complete rituals related to their obsessions and compulsions, such as excessive bathing or checking things like door locks, according to findings recently published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. These accommodations can be anything that makes the symptoms of OCD less impairing, from reassuring a child that his hands are clean and his baby brother is OK to even doing his homework for him or buying objects that make the child feel safe.

"Parents do that because that is what a parent whose child doesn't have OCD would do," said Lisa Merlo, Ph.D., a UF assistant professor of psychiatry and the lead author of the study. "If your child is upset, you try to comfort them. But what we know is, for patients with OCD, if they get an accommodation, that reinforces the OCD to them."

With the help of Occupational therapies and psychologist, you can even get information on how to parent a different way, so that when an OCD episode happens, you can redirect.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
He needs help before it gets intense and worse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 9:46 AM

It started during pre-k when he was 4. At first I attributed to him having to clean things up just right at school and he liked it so much that he started doing it at home too. He actually enjoys organizing. my girls could care less about mess! haha

Quoting ceciliam:

It couldn't hurt to seek out a child psychologist.

Has your 7 year old always been like this or is it a newer behavior? If it is a newer behavior, it could be his way of asserting independence and having control of his choices.

With your daughter, it could be a sensory issue. Good luck!

Bleacheddecay
by on May. 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd absolutely seek help for both. The sooner they get coping techniques (you too) the better.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)