Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If spanking's so harmful, why do you do it?

Posted by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 84 Replies

So I just read this article on how harmful spanking is and how the US is the #1 leader in spanking for discipline.

If you spank, why do you do it?

If you don't spank, why don't you and what do you do for discipline?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this
I don't spank. To me its hypocritical. We tell our kids not to hit then hit them. Also I've done a lot of research on it an all the new research is against using it as a form of discipline. I believe in natural an logical consequences, teaching the child and talking to them. I know a lot of people make fun of the "talking to them but its actually proven to work.
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:23 PM
7 moms liked this

We spank as a last resort. Time out works 99% of the time. I do not believe that spanking is harmful - but I do believe that excessive spanking or beating is harmful.

Islandmom2boys
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM
2 moms liked this

We spank when nothing else works, I don't believe it's harmful if done correctly. I was spanked and I have no side effects from it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
9 moms liked this
LMAO, spanking is not harmful. Beating is. Very different. I was spanked some. Not harmful at all. My girls were spanked some. They are great adults. I think that logic crap is harmful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hot_momma633
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
we spank but time out doesn't work for our daughter. she will willing put herself in time out. my hubby to be won't do it though my daughter is his baby girl doesn't like when she cries. but biological dad Spanks to.
WillsMOM72
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
We spank as a last resort. Spanking is not harmful, as other moms said beating is. I was spanked a lot as a child and I'm fine. Everyone I know was spanked as a child and there normal.
RaLeighsMommy11
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM
This exactly! For punishments we do time outs and then we explain why they had to get in time out. I babysit kids & this is what I do to them as well. My dd will be 3 in August and so far this has worked for us. Ds is only 7 weeks so obviously we haven't tried it on him lol. She gets in trouble & has a consequence and she learns what she does wrong & usually doesn't repeat it because she hates time out lol, and it's good for us because we don't have to get physical or raise our voices. We talk to her in a stern voice but no yelling

Quoting Retrokitty:

I don't spank. To me its hypocritical. We tell our kids not to hit then hit them. Also I've done a lot of research on it an all the new research is against using it as a form of discipline. I believe in natural an logical consequences, teaching the child and talking to them. I know a lot of people make fun of the "talking to them but its actually proven to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lydlou02
by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM
The problem with you question if the IF. Ppl who believe spanking to be harmful don't do it. Ppl who spank don't believe it to bw harmful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tay06
by Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't, because I believe hitting is hitting, and I refuse to hit my child or let anyone else do so.  We do timeout.  My son is the most well-behaved child I know, and everyone is always telling me how sweet and well-behaved he is, so I guess I don't have to hurt my child to teach him manners.

Rhiannon1980
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Well we believe that if used correctly spanking can be a good form of punishment. With that said we don't spank in our house because 1 time out and taking toys has proven to be affective. Also our ds doesn't feel pain. Infact him hitting his head on the door hard enough to leave a bruse is a postive impact for him. So it would never work in our case.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)