Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If spanking's so harmful, why do you do it?

So I just read this article on how harmful spanking is and how the US is the #1 leader in spanking for discipline.

If you spank, why do you do it?

If you don't spank, why don't you and what do you do for discipline?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this
What works for you does not work for others.

Quoting Tay06:

I don't, because I believe hitting is hitting, and I refuse to hit my child or let anyone else do so.  We do timeout.  My son is the most well-behaved child I know, and everyone is always telling me how sweet and well-behaved he is, so I guess I don't have to hurt my child to teach him manners.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I don't. I don't spank because I can parent, and raise my children, without having to resort to violence or causing them pain. We take away privileges and give time outs/groundings, etc.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
A swat on the butt is not violence.

Quoting jojo_star:

I don't. I don't spank because I can parent, and raise my children, without having to resort to violence or causing them pain. We take away privileges and give time outs/groundings, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM

An adult hitting, swatting, spanking, whatever you want to call it, towards a child, isn't violence? Alrighty then :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jojo_star:

laparla
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I do spank, and not as a last resort (and not just "a swat on the butt"). I do because it worked well for me and dh in our families as kids and it works well for our kids.  It's not the only punishment we give, but it's a main one.

laparla
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

BTW, just in the last month there's been another study showing that spanking is NOT harmful.  There is a different study every year like clockwork, every time showing a different conclusion.  Personally, I don't take any of them seriously.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Agree to disagree. Will not argue.

Quoting jojo_star:

An adult hitting, swatting, spanking, whatever you want to call it, towards a child, isn't violence? Alrighty then :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jojo_star:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laparla
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM

If you do it violently, it is violence.  If you don't, it isn't. 

Quoting jojo_star:

lilbit53009
by on May. 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't believe it's harmful when done right...i was spanked as a child and i'm fine.

we spank because it's how we were both raised and it works for our son

laparla
by on May. 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

They seem to have disabled the comments on that article, which were running about 20-1 against the author.  Typical...they publish crap like this and then shield themselves from any debate.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN