Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If spanking's so harmful, why do you do it?

So I just read this article on how harmful spanking is and how the US is the #1 leader in spanking for discipline.

If you spank, why do you do it?

If you don't spank, why don't you and what do you do for discipline?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
potgieter
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

i dont think that article is acurate. where I come from its acceptable to give another persons child a spanking if its called for, here I know that B*tch looking though my window is going to come on here and ask if she should call cps if she sees me spanking my child. 

laparla
by on May. 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I did, and mine do, and I've never come across this supposed perplexity with any children who are spanked. 

Quoting jojo_star:

Yes, I'm sure all children understand why their parents can hit them, but the child can't hit anyone. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Do as I say, not as I do. Kids can never do everything parents do.

Quoting laparla:

I did, and mine do, and I've never come across this supposed perplexity with any children who are spanked. 

Quoting jojo_star:

Yes, I'm sure all children understand why their parents can hit them, but the child can't hit anyone. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nurbabe82
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting jean_marie1987:

We spank as a last resort. Time out works 99% of the time. I do not believe that spanking is harmful - but I do believe that excessive spanking or beating is harmful.

mamer12812
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

its the partents chocie everyone has there own kinda dicipline they give there child but im not going to do the spanking thing i dont think i have it in me im more the time out go in the coner kinda perosn but i do have other things up my sleve to try if it doesnt work just all kinds of things besides one

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't spank.

I would feel like a huge failure if I had to hit those little people in order to have them listen to me.

motherslove82
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't need to feel better. I feel just fine. When an adult takes something away from another adult, it's stealing. From a child, it's discipline. When an adult doesn't let another adult come and go as they please, it's kidnapping. With a child, it's discipline. See, there is a difference in the way a person interacts with other adults and the way they interact with children. When was the last time you put an adult in time-out, or gave one a lecture on their behavior, sent them to their room, put them on restriction... ?Are those things wrong or criminal when done to a child? Neither is spanking.

Quoting jojo_star:

See it however you makes you feel better, but an adult hitting a child is violence. If a child hits a child, it's violence, adult hits and adult, violence, yet when an adult hits a child, it suddenly is no longer violence and it's considered ok? Yes, that makes total sense.

Quoting motherslove82:

Violence is about intent. When spanking, the intent is not to hurt, but to correct.

Quoting jojo_star:

An adult hitting, swatting, spanking, whatever you want to call it, towards a child, isn't violence? Alrighty then :)

Quoting atlmom2:

A swat on the butt is not violence.

Quoting jojo_star:

I don't. I don't spank because I can parent, and raise my children, without having to resort to violence or causing them pain. We take away privileges and give time outs/groundings, etc.

jojo_star
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Spanking is causing physical pain. If that is the only way you can raise your children, causing them pain, then good for you. It is different when you take something away, but you paid for the toys, you have to raise the children. Hurting children, never an acceptable way to discipline. But maybe that is just me. 

Quoting motherslove82:

I don't need to feel better. I feel just fine. When an adult takes something away from another adult, it's stealing. From a child, it's discipline. When an adult doesn't let another adult come and go as they please, it's kidnapping. With a child, it's discipline. See, there is a difference in the way a person interacts with other adults and the way they interact with children. When was the last time you put an adult in time-out, or gave one a lecture on their behavior, sent them to their room, put them on restriction... ?Are those things wrong or criminal when done to a child? Neither is spanking.

Quoting jojo_star:

See it however you makes you feel better, but an adult hitting a child is violence. If a child hits a child, it's violence, adult hits and adult, violence, yet when an adult hits a child, it suddenly is no longer violence and it's considered ok? Yes, that makes total sense.

Quoting motherslove82:

Violence is about intent. When spanking, the intent is not to hurt, but to correct.

Quoting jojo_star:

An adult hitting, swatting, spanking, whatever you want to call it, towards a child, isn't violence? Alrighty then :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jojo_star:

I don't. I don't spank because I can parent, and raise my children, without having to resort to violence or causing them pain. We take away privileges and give time outs/groundings, etc.

motherslove82
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Discipline is discipline. A swat or two on the butt is better than the pain that can come when a child does not learn there are limits and lines that you do not cross. I rarely spank because other things work better, but every once in a while they want to see how far they can push. They need to know that their is a limit to how far they can push. Kids need discipline and some respond to some forms better than others. Some kids are strong willed and determined that if they just keep pushing, you will run out of options and they will get their way. They need to know that that won't happen.

Quoting jojo_star:

Spanking is causing physical pain. If that is the only way you can raise your children, causing them pain, then good for you. It is different when you take something away, but you paid for the toys, you have to raise the children. Hurting children, never an acceptable way to discipline. But maybe that is just me. 

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting motherslove82:

Quoting jojo_star:

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting jojo_star:

pinkcsmtlgy
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:05 PM

This. 

Quoting Islandmom2boys:

We spank when nothing else works, I don't believe it's harmful if done correctly. I was spanked and I have no side effects from it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)