Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

If spanking's so harmful, why do you do it?

So I just read this article on how harmful spanking is and how the US is the #1 leader in spanking for discipline.

If you spank, why do you do it?

If you don't spank, why don't you and what do you do for discipline?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Replies (81-84):
A.J.s_mommy
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I don't spank because I don't want to. A time out works fine in our house.
KayDziedzic
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The guidelines I used in the example you quoted reflect the guidelines/policy statement on spanking as put forth by the American College of Pediatricians (less popular than the AAP, but still comprised of respected pediatric professionals). I used them to emphasize the polar differences between the types of punishment that the studies OP referenced are lumping together. I have no doubt that there are parents who use a paddle in place of their hand without losing control or beating their child. If the paddle is leaving welts, that's excessive and inappropriate IMO.

You're right, there is a lot of middle ground.  Which is exactly why the 'spanking is harmful' studies shouldn't be used to form the professional conclusions that anti-spanking advocates are using them for. Every single study done combines extreme physical punishments that result in welts and bruises metered out by enraged parents, in and with spankings that leave a slight tingle and a temporary bit of redness at worst.

The point I was trying to make:

'Experts' claiming that a spanking given by a calm parent must harm a child, based on the results of a study that combined the effect of spankings with the effect of outright beatings, is absurd.

Quoting laparla:

I would say there is a lot of middle ground between the two scenarios you describe.  I don't, for instance, feel that I beat my children because I spank with a paddle (as is still legal in public schools in 19 states!)

Quoting KayDziedzic:

A spanking is given with an open hand, 1-2 times on the buttocks to a child between 18 months and about 10 years old. A child getting slapped across the face, punched in the stomach, or whipped with a belt hard enough to leave welts, by an enraged, screaming parent, is being harmed.

Bookwormy
by Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM
We don't spank. We use logical & natural consequences, time outs some times, loss of toys, etc. Hitting isn't OK in our family.
RutterMama
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

This exactly

Quoting atlmom2:

LMAO, spanking is not harmful. Beating is. Very different. I was spanked some. Not harmful at all. My girls were spanked some. They are great adults. I think that logic crap is harmful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)