Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Am I weird for allowing my kids to do things for themselves?

Posted by   + Show Post

I ask this because my neighbor is always so amazed that my 2 and 3 yr olds can get their own water from the sink or they get their own snacks after asking for them. I made cleaning the house fun for them because they love to vacuum so when they ask to vacuum i tell them they have to pick up the floor first and they actually doi it.

Its like he expects my kids tobe waited on hand and foot and I figure at 2 and 3 they are showing that they want to do things for themselves so I figure let them as long as what they are doing isnt going to put them in harms way. I feel like a very overprotective parent when it comes to them like when we are out I dont let them more than about 4 feet from me unless we are at the park and even then i am walking around the play equiptment keeping my eyes on both of them all the time. So when I let them have independance at home is that weird?   My husband thinks its great that they go get their own cups and they get the juice and bring it to him saying "please" especially my daughter who is 2 and talking on her terms only. He loves that they want to help with the laundry because they get to put the coins in (I have a commercial washer that came from a laundramat). We supervise them when they want to do these things but if they want to learn and they love doing things for themselves and they get to feel like they helped I think its a win for all of us.

So I guessI wonder how much independance do your kids have?

by on May. 2, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
LindaClement
by on May. 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I think kids live up to (or down to) whatever expectations people really have of them.

By 5, my grandmother was knitting all her own socks, mitts, scarves and hats, and sewing her own clothing.

We grossly underestimate what kids are capable of, these days.

zboys
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM

It's wonderful!  Keep it up!

Pukalani79
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

My kids have always been very independant.  I don't think you're weird. :)

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Our kitchen is set up in a way that when our children were young (2ish) they could get their own drinks, snacks, etc.  It also made it possible for them to clean out the dishwasher of most items and put them away on their own.

By 1st grade all out kids get themselves up, get dressed, make and eat breakfast, as well as pack their own lunches and backpacks before school. 

It isn't weird, it is part of teaching our kids how to be self-sufficent so when they decide to move out they aren't calling us asking how to boil water or start the microwave

STVUstudent
by on May. 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

You sound like a fun mom... kids at this age WANT to help, WANT to do for themselves... LET THEM... my kids are a little older- 4 and 5, they get their own drink of water, they get little bottles of milk from the fridge in the morning and prepare their own cereal (I have it portioned out in bowls), they vacuum (under supervision), and they do lots of other "chores".  It's all part of being part of the family... we all work together to make everything run smoother.  If you wait on them now, they will expect it later...

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I love that my kid's can get their own water. I still make their 3 main meals but it's great they can get their own water and snacks.

stargaze281
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 7:21 PM

No, I dont think that is weird at all. My ds is 2 and he always watches when I clean up and he likes to imitate what I do. He grabs the broom, mop, vacuum, helps me put dishes away from the dishwasher, ect. lol. I think you're just getting self consious.

Ilaynasmommy
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Ds the same. She's always wanted to do things herself. Oh and her fav xmas gift was a real dirt devil vacuum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brieri
by on May. 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM

tell them they have to pick up the floor first and they actually do it   laughing/  

on  a more serious note that is really amazing, how do they do it? 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I do the same thing as you. DS is eight and makes his own breakfast (oatmeal, toast, waffles, etc), can make his own lunch depending on what it is, and I'm currently teaching him how to cook. He is expected to clean his room, clean the table, clean the kitchen counter, take out the recycling, and other household chores when needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)