Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Child Support question

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 34 Replies

So I am 38 weeks pregnant with my son Zander. His dad and I recently decided to take a break. When we were together he was going to be paying child support anyway, because I was going to have Zander almost always. Well now that we aren't together, he is still going to pay. 

I don't really want to get into court cases and everything so I was thinking about writing up an agreement and having it legalized? I have no clue how much he should pay though. We are still on great terms, just like friends. He has a car payment,and a house payment as well. 

He makes about 500 every two weeks, so I have no clue what to ask for. Any advice?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Usually there is a Cs calculator on the state website. I'd see how that figures. Also if you go on any kind of assistance usually the state automatically goes after cs.
Sander was going to be my eldest's middle name until my dh changed his mind at the last minute. :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
offrdngal
by Terri on May. 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM
4 moms liked this
I know you don't want to mess with the court, but really it is in your best interest to do so. The agreement you come up with, even if notarized, isn't worth the paper it's written on. I seen it so many times (my ex included), that an agreement is made and next thing you know..."I have an extra bill", "my hours were cut, at work", "I lost my job"....one excuse after another as to why child support can't be paid.

HappyMommyToo
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:11 AM

The norm is 400 a month, but you should try to calculate costs of everything and see what half of that would be.

blessedmommie07
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Not true in the least especially for a minimum wage job.

DS' BF pays $237 a month court ordered through the state. Even when we were on good terms he hardly paid even a $100 a month for DS. He tried a few years ago to get it lowered to $50! And asks me how I can go through $237 a month so fast. Kids are expensive and only more so as they get older with school, sports, dental and other stuff. Better to have a court order to fall back on then him one day just decide not to pay and have to take him to court. Guys change all the time especially when it comes to money. So please in your child's best interest get a child support order through the court cause he will also probably give you way less than a court would order him to pay.

Quoting HappyMommyToo:

The norm is 400 a month, but you should try to calculate costs of everything and see what half of that would be.

jackieb2811
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I came to an agreement between my twins father and myself of $300 a month we didn't have to go to court for custody we work that out between us and we had to get the child support agreement notarized and made appt for domestics. It was pretty simple. He has it taken directly from his pay each pay. I don't know what he makes but he has a $525 house payment a $400 something car payment and pays me $300 and his oldest sons mom
$200 a month on top of phone, tv,internet, gas, elec and water bills.
Lunarprancer
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Do it legally.

Lunarprancer
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:25 AM

Where do you get "the norm"?

Quoting HappyMommyToo:

With light and love

sissy502
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 1:51 AM

My son works a min. wage job & the state ordered him to pay almost 400.00 a month.

Baby's mom makes twice what my son does & recently took a better paying job & no longer can get state ins for their child. So my son has been ordered to pay another 100.00 a month to cover ins for his daughter.

So he actually has to live on 200.00 for two weeks work. Everything else goes to CS.

He has 2 children, his oldest he didn't have to pay support for because he had her most of the time. But, due to this CS order for his newest child, he had to send his daughter to live with her mother because he can no longer afford to feed her.

HappyMommyToo
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:58 AM
My apologies..I meant in the higher norm.

Quoting blessedmommie07:

Not true in the least especially for a minimum wage job.

DS' BF pays $237 a month court ordered through the state. Even when we were on good terms he hardly paid even a $100 a month for DS. He tried a few years ago to get it lowered to $50! And asks me how I can go through $237 a month so fast. Kids are expensive and only more so as they get older with school, sports, dental and other stuff. Better to have a court order to fall back on then him one day just decide not to pay and have to take him to court. Guys change all the time especially when it comes to money. So please in your child's best interest get a child support order through the court cause he will also probably give you way less than a court would order him to pay.

Quoting HappyMommyToo:

ZsMommy
by on May. 5, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Sorry hon-where I totally get where you're coming from,seeing you are a new cafe member-word of advice-you will get very little to basically zilch sympathy about your son living on next to nothing. It's all men are bad and where's my money. It can get very negative on this website when it comes to men and support. Sorry-just a friendly "head's up"

Quoting sissy502:

My son works a min. wage job & the state ordered him to pay almost 400.00 a month.

Baby's mom makes twice what my son does & recently took a better paying job & no longer can get state ins for their child. So my son has been ordered to pay another 100.00 a month to cover ins for his daughter.

So he actually has to live on 200.00 for two weeks work. Everything else goes to CS.

He has 2 children, his oldest he didn't have to pay support for because he had her most of the time. But, due to this CS order for his newest child, he had to send his daughter to live with her mother because he can no longer afford to feed her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)