Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How to deal with annoying neighbor kids ? HELP!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM
  • 14 Replies

So we were outside playing this evening and the neighbor kids, who just recently moved in, finally attempted to come over and play.. These kids are loud and annoying. Not the kind of kids I want my son around. Just yesterday they were yelling obscenities and waving middle fingers around... (I'm pretty sure the parents werent home, they were with a baby sitter so I minded my business.)

My son is 2. We spend almost everyday outside playing. The neighbor kids are always outside also, they've said hello a few times and I wave back but this was the first time they actually attempted to come over. They asked if they could play with my son and I said "he is too little to play, he isn't aloud to leave our yard" and they said "we will come over there" and started to make their way over so I approached them in an attempt to keep them out of our yard. (Obviously I should have done this differently!)  I asked them their names and ages.. The little girl said she was in 5th grade and the little boy said 1st... They talked for a couple mins about where they went to school and I told them we had to go inside. They asked if we could watch them ride their bikes for a couple mins and I said ok but after about 5 mins I said we had to go in.

I'm afraid these kids will come over again next time they see us outside. How should I deal with this situation? I don't want to be rude, or hurt their feelings, but I don't want them ruining our outside playtime.

by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catrig
by on May. 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM
They seem friendly. Just talk with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamamanic
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2013 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like they are desperate for attention. As long as they are not disrespectful around you, I say why not. If they are talking a way you don't like, make it clear that we don't talk that like that at my house. I hate kids saying "What the" and " Oh My God" and I tell kids that we don't talk like that and they stop. My kids even remind them. 

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't say their bad news after seeing them a couple times.

Most kids are loud outside, that's why we send them outside. LOL. Burn energy and get their loudness out.
Do you just have one child.

If you catch them swearing again maybe you could say their bad news but all children experiment with those words and that finger. If they have caring parents who punish, they will do it when mom and dad aren't around. Because they know if they get caught, they're in trouble. They weren't swearing at you were they?

If it was me I would let them play as long as they are respectful, it will be once or twice and they'll get bored playing with a 2 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natural_s
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree it appears they are lonely and are looking for attention. I understand that you and your son have your own special time but I don't think it would hurt to engage with them sometimes and on days that you really want to focus on your child then just explain to them not today. In the end they are still children and may not understand and take it as you don't like them if this is not done the right way.

I also agree that if you allow them in your yard then they must follow your rules and explain to them that you don't use that type of language and they are not allowed to speak like that and if they can't follow those rules then they can not come over. You can actually bring something positive into their lives that they probably are not getting at home but its your house, your yard so you have the right to set boundaries, I would just tread lightly on how you handle that and maybe take time out to meet and talk to  the parent/parents.

Good luck.

Quoting Mamamanic:

Sounds like they are desperate for attention. As long as they are not disrespectful around you, I say why not. If they are talking a way you don't like, make it clear that we don't talk that like that at my house. I hate kids saying "What the" and " Oh My God" and I tell kids that we don't talk like that and they stop. My kids even remind them. 

Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM

You know what they say. Good fences make good neighbors. If you really can't stand these kids, maybe a privacy fence would help.

megandwade
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, We just have the two year old.

These kids were throwing rocks and yelling the "N" word at the people who live below us. I know there are a few teenagers that live down there but I couldnt see who was outside. I did hear a young girl say "I'm not even black". That just put a bad taste in my mouth for these kids. It has been a nice peaceful place until this family moved in.

I have no problem being nice to them. I'm just worried my friendlyness will be an open invatation for them to be on our property all the time. I hope you are right and they get bored of us quickly. I just feel they are too rambunctious and aggressive to be around my young son. I don't mind talking with them, but I do enjoy our private family play time..

Quoting snowangel1979:

I wouldn't say their bad news after seeing them a couple times.

Most kids are loud outside, that's why we send them outside. LOL. Burn energy and get their loudness out.
Do you just have one child.

If you catch them swearing again maybe you could say their bad news but all children experiment with those words and that finger. If they have caring parents who punish, they will do it when mom and dad aren't around. Because they know if they get caught, they're in trouble. They weren't swearing at you were they?

If it was me I would let them play as long as they are respectful, it will be once or twice and they'll get bored playing with a 2 year old.

megandwade
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

If we could afford it, I would have already done it!

We rent the property.. these people live across the street but its a small dead end and their drive way is directly across from ours. We really liked the neighborhood until this new family moved in. I hate to have to move just because of this issue... like someone said, hopefully they just get bored with us!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

You know what they say. Good fences make good neighbors. If you really can't stand these kids, maybe a privacy fence would help.

DragonMother10
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:22 AM
We have a neighbor kid like that. He likes to run up to my son (1 year) if we are outside, I can't have alone time with my son. He is a brother close his age and another brother a month older than my son. He also has friends on down the street so it's not he is lonely. My husband thinks it's no big deal, but sometimes I just want to spend time with my son without a kid trying to take over. One time the kid came over to play with my son. I come outside to tell my husband it's time to eat. Then my husband makes it seem like my son is saying "bye bye" to the neighbor kid and I am not kidding, he just stands there as we were walking in.
fairymom82
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM
Just be nice to them but distant kwim? isn't first and fifth graders a little old to wanna play with a toddler? Ars thers kids their own age nearby you might tell them so and so kid lives right over there and are more your play age maybe they can play today that's what i had to do with some new kids. You keep saying the family though so is it just some freindless not perfect behaved kids or are adults badly behaved too?
JoeMax
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I have a neighbor boy who comes over to play. My boys are 5 and 3 and the neighbor is 7. We got lucky in the fact that he is very polite and well behaved, and he likes to help me keep an eye on my youngest. He is often home with highschool aged siblings who don't come outside to supervise, and his mother comes and goes through out the evening, but has never really gone beyond introducing herself to me, which basically leaves me in charge by default. I used to get a little bit annoyed because he would come to our house right after the school bus drops him off, if we weren't already outside he would persistently stand outside calling for us. He also doesn't seem to have anyone calling him inside for dinner, bath or bed time etc. It used to bother me a lot and I felt obligated to go out and play and I was starting to resent it. Then one day he let it slip that his dad is "passed and gone" which explains why he loves to come and join in when dh and my boys are doing something cool in the yard. Then he started bringing books out for me to read, and I suggested he save the 2nd one for his mom to read later ( I at least want to relax a little in my garden while they play) but he told me his mom doesn't really have any time to read to him. I realized he is so lonely for a family he wants to share mine even if just for a few hours a day. After that I decided it was selfish of me to feel resentful of him, he is just a little boy who wants some attention, and honestly, it won't kill me to give him a snack or popsicle and let him enjoy our company. I read to my boys a lot anyway, I can just wait and do it when the neighbor can listen too. I suggest, try taking the kids under your wing, if no one is out to guide them in appropriate language and play, you take the lead. If they respond well, you have just made some friends for your little one. If they continue to misbehave it is time to have a talk with their parents and let them know you prefer it if their kids don't come to your yard anymore. Chances are, the kids are just lonely and want some positive attention.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)