Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Toddler Toothbrushing HELP Needed!!

Posted by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hi all - 

I have 4 kids. My first 3 kids never gave me problems when I started brushing their teeth as babies, but with my youngest Jeremiah (14 months old) it is a constant battle. He clamps his mouth shut, chomps down on the toothbrush, turns away, pushes my hand away. It gets to the point where I have to use my other arm to try to pin his arms and keep his head still but I really hate to do that. Then even still I barely get the toothbrush in there. He is strong and I don't want to wrestle him and hurt him and make it a traumatic experience. Aside from toothbrushing, he is a loving, smart, sweet-natured boy. I really don't know what to do....has anyone dealt with this kind of thing and found a solution? 

by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM
1 mom liked this

What kind of toothpaste are you using?  Do you allow him to try and brush himself first?    Dd loved to brush her own teeth at that age and then i would go over them more thoroughly.  We talked about the buggies that could grow if we did not brush them at least 2x a day.  We use a watermelon childrens toothpaste since she hates bubble gum as well as mint.

AmandaMommaX4
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I use the Aquafresh training toothpaste. It's fruit flavored. I am pretty sure he likes the toothpaste, because before the struggle begins he lets the toothbrush in his mouth long enough to suck the toothpaste off LOL then the battle begins. After our brushing battle tonight, for the first time I tried letting him "brush" which was only him sticking the toothbrush in his mouth and chewing on it. So I don't know if he will be more receptive tomorrow, but he's a pretty stubborn little guy so it wouldn't surprise me if he still fights me when I try to brush his teeth.  

OwlNuggets
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Hand him the tooth-brush with a bit of paste on it and let him do it first.. then while he has it in his mouth for a while gently place your hand over his that's holding it and brush his teeth.

AmandaMommaX4
by on May. 3, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I will try that tomorrow - thanks for the advice. :)

SecularMomma
by Member on May. 3, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what I do with my toddler. It works for about 10 seconds. LOL But anything is better than nothing.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Hand him the tooth-brush with a bit of paste on it and let him do it first.. then while he has it in his mouth for a while gently place your hand over his that's holding it and brush his teeth.

MarylandMom123
by on May. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe get an electric toothbrush? We got a barbie one for DD (15 months) and she likes the vibration. We let her brush a little first, and then finish up ourselves.

yperez0209
by on May. 4, 2013 at 8:49 PM
3 moms liked this

At this point he's going to fight you because he has this negativity in his mind about brushing his teeth. You have to figure out a way to make it fun for him. Maybe buy a doll with teeth and have him brush the dolls teeth and show him how happy the baby is everytime he brushes the dolls teeth. Perhaps he can brush the dolls teeth while you are working on his. I would not try to brush his teeth right away, let him work on the doll for a few days first and then try to transition the idea to him.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

DD was a toothbrush chewer until nearly 3 yrs old.  We had one for brushing at night in the bathroom and one she could chew on while she sat on sofa.  That seemed to work better than trying to floss her teeth.  That is where our struggle has been since i did not grow up with a strong emphasis on flossing.

---terrah---
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:31 PM
2 moms liked this

My older DS hated brushing his teeth. So we took him to the store and let him pick out his own toothbrush and toothpaste. He ended up getting a Star Wars spin brush and we never had issues again. I think the fact that he actually picked the stuff out made him actually want to use them.

caroberts
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell him he has sugarbugs in his mouth that need to be brushed away. That helped my son....he wants to find the sugarbugs, lol. Sugarbugs is the plaque or food debris
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)