Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
Chubs's is 13 months and she doesn't sleep through the night, she wakes up in the middle of the night hungry or thirsty, if she has a large bottle she wakes up thirsty....if not she's hungry... She normally takes a nap for about 1 and half hours to 3 hours yesterday she only got a 30 minute nap she ate 11oz milk before bed and she slept through the night I don't know what to do, in October we'll have baby #2 I want chubs to be sleeping through the night by then. Help!?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
jjmama12
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, explain to the in laws that you need to stay consistant and not to interfere. If they call you mean, so what it's your children. You need to gain sanity so you can rest as well for new born. I say let her self soothe, comfort her and get her comfortable but stay consistant. Change to sippy cup for night time. Its going to take time, Just be patient and stay calm. 

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Okay, I just read through your whole post, you are in a tough spot here with your in-laws! I would ask for a family meeting, get your husband and everyone together and try to get them all on the same plan. It's hard for a Grandma to listen to your baby cry, I am a grandma, I know! See if they'll agree to a time limit on the crying, it could take 45 minutes the first night, with you just going in to pat her back or let her hear your voice, or grandma, whatever, just see if they'll agree to a specific plan.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
12 oz before bed??? Good lord... Is she not drinking enough the rest of the day? My 4 and 7 year Olds couldn't even drink that much in a sitting!

Nightwaking is normal, she's still a baby. We all wake up over night and need a drink, or to pee... My husband wakes up every night to get a snack and he's 36! Difference is that she can't meet her needs on her own, she still needs help.

When new baby comes, let daddy take over nighttime for her.
SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Gagging from crying so hard is NOT normal.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Starting to gag is normal, I know it's hard to deal with but you need your sleep!

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting Lindalou907:

I doubt she's really hungry, it's natural for them to wake up and need that bottle to get back to sleep. You have to let her cry mama, she will learn to go back to sleep on her own. Takes about 3 nights usually. You can let her just hear your voice, but don't pick her up or feed her. Trust me. If she likes a paci you can keep it clipped to her pj's so she can find it.

Tried that already she cries harder she cried so hard she started gagging. I've tried not giving her a bottle but she'll keep screaming until she gets the bottle. I don't know if its she's not eating enough solids

babydylan3
by Member on May. 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Um how did you do that? My 13 month old is out of the crib and into a toddler bed do you think it will work for me too?

Quoting LilliesValley:

I mean you are going to have to experiment. She only got a half hour and slept through the night. So try an hour for a few days and see if you get the same results. Then maybe an hour and a half. If that's to long go back to an hour.

I would try a sippy cup without the straw only because it will be closer to a bottle in theory.

Keep up with your bed time routine and if you are still using a baby monitor get rid of it or pack it away. I had to do this because I would hear dd and go into her room when she didn't need me. Then she was all happy because mommy was there. And to her that meant play time, diaper change or a bottle. I would say at first let her fuss for a few minutes and then go in and check on her. When you go in just say it's bedtime and I will see you in the morning. You need to lay down. It's hard but you need to be consistent. The second time after five minutes I would go back in and not talk and just lay her back down and get her comfortable as I could and leave. I know not everyone agrees with this method but this is what worked for me. Good luck.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Shorten her nap time. Transition to a sippy cup with pediasure in it because it will have a lot of good stuff and protein.

Don't go in right away when she fusses at night.

She drinks from the straw sippy cups all day that night time bottle is hard to break. How much should I shorten her nap time by?

jhslove
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Does she wake up at the same time every night? And how many times does she wake?

If she's eating that much before bed, I seriously doubt that she's waking because she's truly hungry. More likely, she's developed a sleep association with the bottle and she doesn't know how to go back to sleep without it. You're going to have to break that association.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting jhslove:

Can you write a bit about what your bedtime routine is?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.

LilliesValley
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM
That might make it harder. Lol. I had dd in her own room by three weeks and sleeping through the night before three months.

When we changed her to the toddler bed we made a big deal about it. You just have to be very consistent. If they get up out of bed you take them directly back. We don't let her crawl into bed with us unless we are cuddling and about ready to get up. When she would get up and have a bad dream I'd (or dh) take her back and retuck her in. A few quick words like you're fine now and it's still time to sleep. Very short and sweet. If she called again just a little more sternly it's time for bed.

We also have a routine at bedtime where she will tell us where she's going in her dreams. Like flying on dragons to see mereda in Scotland. Or flying with fairies to see mulan in China.

But honestly being consistent is the best thing. She also has a completely different bed time routine with her dad than me. When he's home from work they do their thing. It's this long poem or something. It's their thing. Mine is singing a song that I made up for her when I was pregnant with her.

When and what type of issues are you having. Staying asleep or going to sleep. Is your living situation similar to ops where other people are interfering?

Quoting babydylan3:

Um how did you do that? My 13 month old is out of the crib and into a toddler bed do you think it will work for me too?

Quoting LilliesValley:

I mean you are going to have to experiment. She only got a half hour and slept through the night. So try an hour for a few days and see if you get the same results. Then maybe an hour and a half. If that's to long go back to an hour.

I would try a sippy cup without the straw only because it will be closer to a bottle in theory.

Keep up with your bed time routine and if you are still using a baby monitor get rid of it or pack it away. I had to do this because I would hear dd and go into her room when she didn't need me. Then she was all happy because mommy was there. And to her that meant play time, diaper change or a bottle. I would say at first let her fuss for a few minutes and then go in and check on her. When you go in just say it's bedtime and I will see you in the morning. You need to lay down. It's hard but you need to be consistent. The second time after five minutes I would go back in and not talk and just lay her back down and get her comfortable as I could and leave. I know not everyone agrees with this method but this is what worked for me. Good luck.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Shorten her nap time. Transition to a sippy cup with pediasure in it because it will have a lot of good stuff and protein.

Don't go in right away when she fusses at night.

She drinks from the straw sippy cups all day that night time bottle is hard to break. How much should I shorten her nap time by?

SecularMomma
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM

At 13 months she should be getting a total of 14 hours sleep. So try to make her sleep schedule day and night routine. 2 hour nap... 12 hours sleep at night. Same time same amount of time everyday.

She may just be waking up hungry out of habit. Not actually hungry but used to being fed at this hour. My son did this and the Dr. suggested giving a little water instead of milk.

Hope you find something that works! It's hit and miss with babies sometimes. But whatever you choose to do give it a week before you give up on it. It's not always an instant fix.

Chubsmommy325
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting LilliesValley:

Well your living situation really complicates things. I don't know what to say with that because really they shouldn't interfere but their sleep is getting disrupted too. Is your living situation likely to change any time soon?

I would still get rid of the monitor because it's still getting you up. I turned mine way down and still was getting up too often.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

I use a video monitor before with just audio I would go in and she was just rolling over now I watch her on the video for about 5-6 minutes and then if she's not quieting I go in and get her comfortable then try to leave it works sometimes a few pats and she's back to sleep other times it doesn't work.

I've also got to find the method that works best without screams the in laws live with us so the few times I let her cry they would go in and soothe her and when I tried explaining the whole family called me mean. When I said it would be harder for me to take care if a newborn if she's still night waking my mil responded its okay ill take care of her. I don't like that because my bil does that he just lets mil take care of his baby almost 100% she likes it but I had chubs and I'm having her brother or sister so I guess I'm weird lol

The loss of sleep doesn't bother them, she's the first grandbaby. The monitor only goes off when she cries loud, as in standing up and screaming other than that it doesn't go off.
Marimaru
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I'd put a sippy with water in bed with her.  My daugther wakes up a lot during the night for a sip of water and goes right back to sleep.  Show her where it goes (when my daughter was in a crib, it went in the corner where she could reach it but probably wouldn't bump it while asleep).  When she wakes up, remind her where her cup is, tell her to take a drink and go back to sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN