Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms
Chubs's is 13 months and she doesn't sleep through the night, she wakes up in the middle of the night hungry or thirsty, if she has a large bottle she wakes up thirsty....if not she's hungry... She normally takes a nap for about 1 and half hours to 3 hours yesterday she only got a 30 minute nap she ate 11oz milk before bed and she slept through the night I don't know what to do, in October we'll have baby #2 I want chubs to be sleeping through the night by then. Help!?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.
by on May. 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
LilliesValley
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Then you have to put your mommy foot down. Your living situation makes it very complicated but you are going to need consistency especially with number two on the way. And I know it seems like the monitor wouldn't make a big difference but it really does.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Well your living situation really complicates things. I don't know what to say with that because really they shouldn't interfere but their sleep is getting disrupted too. Is your living situation likely to change any time soon?

I would still get rid of the monitor because it's still getting you up. I turned mine way down and still was getting up too often.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

I use a video monitor before with just audio I would go in and she was just rolling over now I watch her on the video for about 5-6 minutes and then if she's not quieting I go in and get her comfortable then try to leave it works sometimes a few pats and she's back to sleep other times it doesn't work.

I've also got to find the method that works best without screams the in laws live with us so the few times I let her cry they would go in and soothe her and when I tried explaining the whole family called me mean. When I said it would be harder for me to take care if a newborn if she's still night waking my mil responded its okay ill take care of her. I don't like that because my bil does that he just lets mil take care of his baby almost 100% she likes it but I had chubs and I'm having her brother or sister so I guess I'm weird lol

The loss of sleep doesn't bother them, she's the first grandbaby.
The monitor only goes off when she cries loud, as in standing up and screaming other than that it doesn't go off.

Chubsmommy325
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Her pedi told me she needs 16-24oz of whole milk in a 24 hour period. At breakfast she has 5 oz of milk after she finishes her lunch before her nap she has 7-8 oz. I worry if I'm feeding her enough solids throughout the day I'm trying to enforce high chair only eating but dh and I are the only ones who really eat the table. She sees grandma and grandpa eating in the living room she wants what they are having, I've tried putting her in the highchair in the living room as a compromise but it doesn't work she wants out right away but she'll still want to eat and its hard to say no especially a few months ago chubs refused to eat anything. So there's that hurdle too. Losing sleep doesn't bother me, I thought about getting her a spill proof sippy cup and putting water in it for her at night, that's what she wants when she wakes up water. The pedi says that's bad though. I sleep with a bottle of water on my nightstand though. 

Daddy and nighttime.....I've had her monitor on full volume when she was sick, she woke up and was coughing and crying all he did was roll over lol. He is not a night owl. He tried nighttime one time, what normally takes 15 minutes turned into 2 hours and I had to go to put her to sleep. Lol

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

12 oz before bed??? Good lord... Is she not drinking enough the rest of the day? My 4 and 7 year Olds couldn't even drink that much in a sitting!

Nightwaking is normal, she's still a baby. We all wake up over night and need a drink, or to pee... My husband wakes up every night to get a snack and he's 36! Difference is that she can't meet her needs on her own, she still needs help.

When new baby comes, let daddy take over nighttime for her.

Chubsmommy325
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I'm not looking forward to the toddler bed, chubs likes to wander as it is.

Quoting babydylan3:

Um how did you do that? My 13 month old is out of the crib and into a toddler bed do you think it will work for me too?

Quoting LilliesValley:

I mean you are going to have to experiment. She only got a half hour and slept through the night. So try an hour for a few days and see if you get the same results. Then maybe an hour and a half. If that's to long go back to an hour.

I would try a sippy cup without the straw only because it will be closer to a bottle in theory.

Keep up with your bed time routine and if you are still using a baby monitor get rid of it or pack it away. I had to do this because I would hear dd and go into her room when she didn't need me. Then she was all happy because mommy was there. And to her that meant play time, diaper change or a bottle. I would say at first let her fuss for a few minutes and then go in and check on her. When you go in just say it's bedtime and I will see you in the morning. You need to lay down. It's hard but you need to be consistent. The second time after five minutes I would go back in and not talk and just lay her back down and get her comfortable as I could and leave. I know not everyone agrees with this method but this is what worked for me. Good luck.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting LilliesValley:

Shorten her nap time. Transition to a sippy cup with pediasure in it because it will have a lot of good stuff and protein.

Don't go in right away when she fusses at night.

She drinks from the straw sippy cups all day that night time bottle is hard to break. How much should I shorten her nap time by?

Chubsmommy325
by on May. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

When she eats that much before bed she wakes and wants her sippy cup, not a bottle, so I've nipped the bottle after bed. She only wakes once for about 10-15 minutes. It doesn't bother me that she wakes up, I just see how moms talk about their Los sleeping through the night already so I feel like I'm messing chubs up. 

Quoting jhslove:

Does she wake up at the same time every night? And how many times does she wake?

If she's eating that much before bed, I seriously doubt that she's waking because she's truly hungry. More likely, she's developed a sleep association with the bottle and she doesn't know how to go back to sleep without it. You're going to have to break that association.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting jhslove:

Can you write a bit about what your bedtime routine is?

She shows signs of sleepiness about 4 hours after waking up from her nap, she has a bath, bedtime rubdown, (I use Johnson's bedtime lotion and body wash) she says good night to the family after her bath, then she has a bedtime bottle (I know I need to get her off the bottle, the last bottle is really hard) her bottle is anywhere between 8-12 oz she has a little water after that. then we snuggle until she's drowsy and almost asleep, then I lay her down she rolls to her side and sleeps.
When she wakes up she just wants milk or water depending on how much she had before sleeping.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Have you ever heard the saying "It's only a problem if it's a problem"? In other words, if YOU don't mind the fact that she's waking up, then it's doesn't need to be fixed. She'll eventually start sleeping through on her own.

My daughter started sleeping through the night (7-8 hours, then she would wake up for an early morning feeding between 3 and 5 a.m., then go back to sleep) at four months, then she pretty much nixed the early-morning feeding at nine months. It was very important to us that she start sleeping through the night, so we did sleep-training.

But if her sleeping through isn't that important to you, and you don't mind her waking up, then it's not a big deal. Don't compare your baby to others--all babies and all families are different.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

When she eats that much before bed she wakes and wants her sippy cup, not a bottle, so I've nipped the bottle after bed. She only wakes once for about 10-15 minutes. It doesn't bother me that she wakes up, I just see how moms talk about their Los sleeping through the night already so I feel like I'm messing chubs up. 

Quoting jhslove:

Does she wake up at the same time every night? And how many times does she wake?

If she's eating that much before bed, I seriously doubt that she's waking because she's truly hungry. More likely, she's developed a sleep association with the bottle and she doesn't know how to go back to sleep without it. You're going to have to break that association.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting jhslove:

Can you write a bit about what your bedtime routine is?

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 3:33 PM
I think 16 oz is pretty standard (that's 4 servings), plus any other dairy she's getting are also servings of dairy. 12 oz on one sitting just sounds like way too much... More food right before bed won't make her sleep any longer... You just want to be sure she's taking enough throughout the day.

For food... Any reason to restrict eating to her high chair? Meals as a family, sure... But if she has a snack of some fruit or a cheese stick, etc... Why not eat where she wants?

Water in her bed is not a bad thing. Remember doc is just giving an opinion, you don't have to take his advice.

My husband is the same way... I'd just have to nudge him awake until he got up to deal with it. If mil is willing to help, I'd take it. It takes a village, you can't do everything!

Her waking is normal, if you don't have a problem with it, its not a problem. You will adjust when new baby comes.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Her pedi told me she needs 16-24oz of whole milk in a 24 hour period. At breakfast she has 5 oz of milk after she finishes her lunch before her nap she has 7-8 oz. I worry if I'm feeding her enough solids throughout the day I'm trying to enforce high chair only eating but dh and I are the only ones who really eat the table. She sees grandma and grandpa eating in the living room she wants what they are having, I've tried putting her in the highchair in the living room as a compromise but it doesn't work she wants out right away but she'll still want to eat and its hard to say no especially a few months ago chubs refused to eat anything. So there's that hurdle too. Losing sleep doesn't bother me, I thought about getting her a spill proof sippy cup and putting water in it for her at night, that's what she wants when she wakes up water. The pedi says that's bad though. I sleep with a bottle of water on my nightstand though. 

Daddy and nighttime.....I've had her monitor on full volume when she was sick, she woke up and was coughing and crying all he did was roll over lol. He is not a night owl. He tried nighttime one time, what normally takes 15 minutes turned into 2 hours and I had to go to put her to sleep. Lol

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

12 oz before bed??? Good lord... Is she not drinking enough the rest of the day? My 4 and 7 year Olds couldn't even drink that much in a sitting!

Nightwaking is normal, she's still a baby. We all wake up over night and need a drink, or to pee... My husband wakes up every night to get a snack and he's 36! Difference is that she can't meet her needs on her own, she still needs help.

Chubsmommy325
by on May. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Not eating in h highchair doesn't bother me I just have tons of people telling me she needs to sit in it. Im learning now.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

I think 16 oz is pretty standard (that's 4 servings), plus any other dairy she's getting are also servings of dairy. 12 oz on one sitting just sounds like way too much... More food right before bed won't make her sleep any longer... You just want to be sure she's taking enough throughout the day.

For food... Any reason to restrict eating to her high chair? Meals as a family, sure... But if she has a snack of some fruit or a cheese stick, etc... Why not eat where she wants?

Water in her bed is not a bad thing. Remember doc is just giving an opinion, you don't have to take his advice.

My husband is the same way... I'd just have to nudge him awake until he got up to deal with it. If mil is willing to help, I'd take it. It takes a village, you can't do everything!

Her waking is normal, if you don't have a problem with it, its not a problem. You will adjust when new baby comes.

Quoting Chubsmommy325:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

brittany208
by on May. 4, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Try giving her a little less in the bottle each night. She will naturally make up for it by eating more during the day. I did this with my DS when he was waking up to eat at 6mo. I went from nursing 10min, to 9 the next night, to 8 the next, til we got down to just a couple minutes, and I would just offer him water. He was NOT interested in the water and didnt bother waking up anymore. He was sleeping through the night in a week to a week and a half without being left in his crib to cry.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I didnt see anywhere that you said how much she is eating table food wise during the day.  That could make a big difference.  At night give a toddler sized bowl of oatmeal and 6oz of milk for her to drink.  That may help her stay full and yet keep her blood sugar levels even throughout the night.

---terrah---
by on May. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Well, you still have a long way to go before October gets here. 

But just remember, that the average age for a baby to sleep through the night varies. Some babies are sleeping through the night at 3 months....some closer to 2. It just depends on your baby and their needs.

If you don't mind her waking up, then just let her go. A baby will normally start sleeping through the night on their own when they are biologically ready. The only way that you would need to do something is if her waking up is starting to bother you.

If you feel that you need to try and correct the situation, I'd try to minimize naps during the day and if she needs a longer nap...make it earlier in the day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)