Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Counseling... good or bad?

Posted by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

So my boyfriend and I just started going to counseling last Tuesday.. We have another appointment on Monday. For any of you that have been to family counseling, does it really work? My bf and I have a lot of problems and this was the last resort and I just want to know if it's going to help.

by on May. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Jilly79
by on May. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband and I have been in counseling for years and it really helps us.  We didn't have one major problem that sent us there...it was just little everyday things.  We go every 2-3 weeks for about an hour.  I find that it helps us contain the issues to the counseling sessions.  It has strengthened our relationship and we will continue to go.  Sometimes it is hard in the beginning because you have to tell your whole story and you may have to shop around for a therapist you like, but stick with it, it'll be worth it!  Good luck!

lovelymomma1994
by on May. 4, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Quoting Jilly79:

My husband and I have been in counseling for years and it really helps us.  We didn't have one major problem that sent us there...it was just little everyday things.  We go every 2-3 weeks for about an hour.  I find that it helps us contain the issues to the counseling sessions.  It has strengthened our relationship and we will continue to go.  Sometimes it is hard in the beginning because you have to tell your whole story and you may have to shop around for a therapist you like, but stick with it, it'll be worth it!  Good luck!

Honestly, we found a good counselor on the first try. Our first session did go pretty well. Our relationship was falling apart and we needed help because I couldn't handle it anymore. I'm hoping that it keeps going really well and we plan on going every week for awhile.

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM
It all depends on the counselor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it works, but you need to be willing (both of you) to commit to it and not expect results right away.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Good. The problem is a lot of people use it as a last resort, when they already have one foot out the door, so it takes a lot more work to get the love back! You are wise to do it before marriage, the counselor can help you decide if it's fixable or you're better off without each other.

lovelymomma1994
by on May. 4, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Quoting Lindalou907:

Good. The problem is a lot of people use it as a last resort, when they already have one foot out the door, so it takes a lot more work to get the love back! You are wise to do it before marriage, the counselor can help you decide if it's fixable or you're better off without each other.

Well I did have one foot out the door already but I still love him. I didn't lose the love, I was just losing him and the trust.

jazzijazz
by New Member on May. 4, 2013 at 10:47 PM

counseling can be a good thing if both of you are willing to work through what ever issue it is

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM

exactly

Quoting jazzijazz:

counseling can be a good thing if both of you are willing to work through what ever issue it is

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)