Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training Show Down!

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
  • 7 Replies

I know there is a lot of consideration into the age old is my child ready to use the potty. In my case, it has been a battle since 18 months. I have no clue how to get my now 3 (almost 3 and half!) year old to just use the crazy invention called potty! Let me highlight my 'clues' that he has and is ready.

At 18 months, I used to try underwear. My son would accept it but refuse to sit on the potty or even go in the bathroom. Instead he'd play in the underwear until he could no longer then run outside to pee.

Around this time, I took him to buy a potty his size in hopes that would work. He picked out a frog one he liked and experimented with it before losing all interest in it.

At 2, he would tell me occasionally when he was wet. He would use underwear to his liking. Often he'd pee in and think it was funny.

At 2 and half, he would occasionally try to pee on the potty. He'd sit on it and goof off. I would get annoyed because I mean c'mon he sat there for 10 mins! As soon as the diaper went on, he peed.

Now, he loves to run around and pee in buckets when he is outside. He can remain dry when he is in just a bathing suit. His diapers are consistantly small amounts of pee. He can pee on the potty if asked. However, the second I put underwear on....he pees. Then tells me. I make him sit in the wet undies for a few then change them. Instantly, he pees.

Oh, we also discuss the color and consistancy of his poop. He has also decided he no longer likes underwear. Refuses to put it on. Has such a fit. Yet will use the potty (standing up by the way) as long as he can wear his diapers. He would like to stay in his diaper, have it taken off so he can use the potty then have said diaper put back on.

Please someone help me end this saga! I am going insane!

by on May. 5, 2013 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
emmy526
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:32 AM

quit buying diapers and MAKE him use the underwear...tell him there are no othere choices anymore, because he's a big boy now.  Praise, encouragement, and a chart for him showing his improvement and a goal for him at the end of the week should motivate him.  Consistency is the key. Punishment, belittling, or yelling about accidents is going to make it harder..same with having him sit in wet underwear.  He is learning how to control his sphincter muscle, and accidents are part of learning how to do that. 

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Why did you start so early? I didn't start till 3. Teach him to sit and pee. Sit him often on the potty. Go to underware only.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AromaDrops33
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
My son wasn't potty trained until he was 4. I was sure he'd be in highschool with pull-ups, but I took the advice of some cafemom members and stopped using pull-ups during the day. I put him in underwear, and yes there were multiple accidents, but soon he caught on and now uses the potty. We're still struggling with nighttime training and he turns 5 in two months. Each kid is different
CameronsMommy23
by on May. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Maybe he just isn't ready yet? Most pediatricians say that many kids start around age 3. My 2 yr old twins aren't ready yet.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Males typically stand to urinate so perhaps look into a toddler'/preschooler size one for him.   DD was a very late trainer and did what yours did.  She could stay dry all day in her panties but put on a diaper and Bam she would go potty.  At that point we did child led training since my mom couldnt even figure it out.  We found out later though she has/had delays emotionally which made it harder for these types of milestones.

BrittSam2011
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Whenever my son (3) would go in the potty I made a HUGE deal out of it. I jumped up and down, clapped, yelled good job, and gave him a big hug and kiss. He's now fully potty trained and he only wears pull-ups at night and nap times just in case he has an accident. He knows that when I have him put it on, it's sleepy time. And use a chart with stickers for when he goes in there, too. Kids love stickers. Give him a prize for a certain amount of stickers.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No offense...you started way too early and have created the problem you're having now.  We just let him decide.  We told him when he was ready to let us know. We reminded him every couple of months about it.  He turned 3 and told us he was ready.  He potty trained in a week.  WE let him have all the control.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured