Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Do you trust you dog?

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this
Do you trust your dog to keep an eye on your child? Sounds weird I'm sure. Our dog, Alex, will NOT let our 2.5 year old daughter go into the drive way, won't allow her to pick stuff up off the ground that isn't a toy, and will NOT let anyone except our neighbor around her.
I was just outside with Alex and my daughter taking trash out. They went around the back of the house where the only thing she could get hurt in is barbed wire fence. We got new neighbors and she chewed my head of and threatened to call CPS on me because I let my two year old run "loose." She was with Alex and I trust him to lead her else where and or protect her. He wasn't on a leash and is always right beside her.
So then new neighbor decided to go back there after I told her to mind her own business. Alex started barking and growling. New neighbor came around our house with an angry look. She said my dog tried to attack her. DARN! Don't try and approach my child when he is around!

Am I wrong for thinking this way?? Alex has been around my daughter since he was a pup. He is 3yrs old and she will be 3 in July. He looks after her always unless were inside the house. If I say "where is the baby''he will go and find her and lay down and whimper till I call him back or go to him.
I have a feeling new neighbor and I are going to get into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I would not. I would not like a dog to be that controlling and protective. Kinda scary.
I would never let a 2 yo outside with just a dog. I would not let a dog to be alone with my 2 yo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I think a two year old can be in the backyard with the dog for a few minutes, as long as you are checking on her. I think the nieghbor needs to mind her own business.

snowangel1979
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2013 at 10:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't say I trust my dog to watch my children but she is very protective. No one is walking up to them unless she knows them. She wouldn't stop them from going anywhere, she would just go with them. LOL.

I think your neighbor needs to mind her own. You weren't just letting your daughter run "loose". You were outside with her just not 2 feet next to her.

If you were just letting your daughter outside, taking a nap inside and thinking the dog was a babysitter, that's CPS worthy.

At almost 3 I would say she can wonder around the yard if your somewhere outside. At 3 I let my DS out to pay in the sand box and just checked on him every 5 minutes or so, but we live out in the country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LyndaLoo78
by on May. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Um, no I would not trust SO's two boxers to act as supervisors of my small children.  

Randi02
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

He is an ANIMAL, and can never be trusted 100%. Especially with the welfare of your child.

I have two large breed dogs. One is 8, and the other is 4 (we adopted the 4 year old a few weeks ago). I do trust them, and I feel safer having them around when my kids are playing outside (they bark if anyone comes into our driveway, and my 8 year old dog won't let anyone through the gate at all), but I still watch my kids closely. My 6.5 and 5 year olds are outside by themselves right now, but I would never let my 2.5 year old out unsupervised on her own with only a dog.

-PB
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.  I would not do that.  I personally think that is crazy.  Sorry, jmho.

anotherandree
by Inga on May. 5, 2013 at 11:43 AM

When I was young, about 3, we had a lab that was the same way.  She would follow me around and if I got too close to the boundary of the yard, she would either block my way or take ahold of my sleeve (or shirt) and move me back (which my mother tells me I thought was hilarious).  Again, though, my mother knew I thought it was hilarious because she was near enough.  She did not use Shannon as a babysitter, but she was a companion and my mother trusted her "act as a second set of eyes."  Nothing more.

idunno1234
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I get the temptation to trust a beloved animal who appears to be loving and protective but I've owned a number of dogs, each of them extremely different, very different temperaments and very loving animals.  I wouldn't have trusted any one of them with a 2 year old, especially one who showed protective, territorial, aggressive tendencies.

Dogs are not humans.  They are wonderful animals who can add many positives to any family but you need to have some realistic precautions in place and some understanding as why those precautions are necessary.

motherofjb
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Ya, I don't use him as a babysitter. No way! But when I'm weeding the garden its nice to not have to have my daughter right there with me or have to look up every second. I can look up every so often and know she is within the bounds.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I wouldn't say I trust my dog to watch my children but she is very protective. No one is walking up to them unless she knows them. She wouldn't stop them from going anywhere, she would just go with them. LOL.

I think your neighbor needs to mind her own. You weren't just letting your daughter run "loose". You were outside with her just not 2 feet next to her.

If you were just letting your daughter outside, taking a nap inside and thinking the dog was a babysitter, that's CPS worthy.

At almost 3 I would say she can wonder around the yard if your somewhere outside. At 3 I let my DS out to pay in the sand box and just checked on him every 5 minutes or so, but we live out in the country.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on May. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I have three dogs, all are extremely well behaved and loyal to our kids, follow them everywhere, and no, they are dogs, not people. While its cute to think that the dog would never let your child do those things, I wouldn't trust that permanently and use them as a sitter, one day they will get distracted by a squirrel and your kid will walk into the road or into that barbed wire. He's an animal, he doesn't have the thought process to distinguish "oh no, they could cut themselves on that barbed wire and get hurt" or "the driveway could be dangerous, there are cars, shouldn't let her go there." I honestly think it's extremely lazy and irresponsible to use your dog as a babysitter for your two year old, watch your kid, it's also irresponsible to have your dog running around outside with no restraint. You shouldn't even leave a two year old alone with a dog period, especially one with hearding tendancies, one day he might try to discipline her as he would a puppy and take a nip at her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)