Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

teaching your children to ride a bike... Edit...

Posted by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM
  • 22 Replies

What suggestion do people have to help your child learn to ride a bike. My oldest is finally willing to learn to ride a bike. She is 10..yes I know she should have learned way before now but she has flat out refused. This year she is willing to learn. She has been trying and I got her a bigger bike that she picked out herself. I showed her what I did when I learned to ride a bike and gave her suggestion on what she can try. I find she leans to the left too much which she ends up falling to that side but she can touch the ground so she doesnt fall. She does a good job trying but get really frustrated really easy and cries and stops trying and sits on the porch. I have explained to her it is different for everyone and some people learn a lot more easy then others and we all learn in our own time. I have gotten her to ride while I hold on to her and let go for a second but as soon as I let go she goes off to the side. I have told her to push her self around and try to get her to get control and her balance before she tries. Tonight she did good and she made it to the end of the driveway and she stopped herself and she started to cry and I asked her what is wrong and she said I almost went in the road I told her she is ok and stopped herself and didnt end up in the road. It was at the time where there is no one driving down our road. She cried for over an hour. What has anyone else done to help their children learn to ride their bike?

My oldest now knows how to ride her bike and she loves it..she is all excited she can ride her bike. She kept riding up and down the road. She didn't want to stop riding her bike and even asked her little sister if she wanted to race up the road...=) 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Take the pedals off and let her learn the balance without pedaling first.  My kids start with balance bikes so there's no pedals in the way.  DS started riding at 4 and dd just turned 3 and is almost there because of their balance bikes.

Also, make sure her bike isn't too big.  Her feet should be able to sit flat on the ground.  We got ds a 12" bike used that he rode for a month before he was ready for his 16".  

If you have an REI near you they offer kid's classes where they teach them how to ride a bike.  Sometimes it helps to have other kids around!

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:07 PM
My youngest taught herself in a matter of 30 min. She was 7. My oldest took weeks of working with her and she was 8. She never cried but was hesitant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by on May. 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM
I just took the training wheels off my 4 year olds bike and held onto the seat for a few times and off she went!
GleekingOut
by Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM
Can't help you, I have a 21yo that refuses to learn to ride.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM

DD is 7 and has training wheels due to her balance issues.  She has been evaluated so we know she has balance issues.   She likes to steer to one side or the other though .  A few times she has rode right into the curb causing herself to fall off.  I explained that is why we wear a bike helmet for our heads and if we need to we can buy elbow/knee pads to help her feel more safe. 

Congrats to your girl for even trying.  Each time i tried to learn through age 18, I failed..  I remember running over my dads toes a few times.

JasonsMom2007
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Oh, another thing (I've helped teach a lot of kids to ride) is to give her a short distance to accomplish instead of just asking her to ride.   I helped a very hesitant kid learn to ride like this.  His mom was yelling at him that he could do it and to just try and I told him "just ride from here to there once and then you can put your training wheels back on if you want."  He did it successfully.  His mom took my cue and praised him then asked him if he could do it again.  He refused.  So I told him he could put his training wheels back on but if he would ride there just one more time I'd take a picture of him to show his dad.  He rode it again.  Then his mom told him "I bet you can ride around this whole parking lot!" and he says "fine but then I'm putting the training wheels back on and never riding this stupid bike without them again!"  By the time he got around the parking lot he jumped off his bike all excited saying "I love it!  I love it!  I'm never using stupid training wheels again!" and off he went lol.  Small goals help :)

comptonkids
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:31 PM
my oldest was 6, she got a razor scooter for her 5th b day and by the time she was 6, she was really good at balancing
it took only a few hours to transfer to balancing on a bike
she has a small 12 ? in bike that she got for her 3rd b day, she has far outgrown it but it is the perfect size for her to learn and gain confidence

this summer she will get a bigger bike
1squishysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We own a bike shop and parents are buying the balance bikes, but they would be too small for a 10yo, I would imagine. I was older when I learned, too. Our boys learned younger. Our youngest actually learned to ride his dirt bike before his bicycle at age 4. I really do believe it was a balance issue.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Put her on a slight incline and let her put her feet to the sides, since she can touch the ground. On a slight incline she can learn control and yet her feet will keep her from falling.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 6, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Sutton was 5. It was amazing, I actually caught her VERY first time being successful on video, it's on youtube. :)

Anyway I just lowered the seat all the way down and took the training wheels off. Just reminded her to use her feet til she got her balance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN