Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Fostering a 2 yr old. Never had any kids. What do i buy?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:18 AM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this
My DH and I are fostering to adopt. The first child given to us is a 2yr old. We have a crib and dresser/changer, a stroller, and that's it. I don't know if he's potty trained. He comes home in 4 days. What do I really need for toddlers. I have stairs so I'm assuming I need some kind of play yard or baby gate. But do 2 yr olds really need that or do they even like it? Totally new mom here. We are going from 0 to 60 in 4 days. Help!
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
disneymom2two
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:32 AM

It's been a bit since I've had a 2 year old (my youngest is 7) but here's what I'd get:

babygate for stairs
diapers (may not need them but may not be toilet trained and if just entering foster care and going through upheaval may regress)
some board books
tub toys
child proof the outlets

carseat

high chair (I'd get one that sits on a chair rather than a standalone)

age appropriate toys (go to Toys R Us and look for developmental toys)

Quinn525
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:51 AM
The above and also cabinet and drawer locks. Also there are knobs that go over door knobs so little ones can't go into rooms or outside. Maybe a nightlight or something like that for a dark bedroom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
June3May4June3
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM

If you know what his favorite character is (if not can you find out)? Get him something in that theme. It may help him adjust easier. Also if you don't have any toddler eating sets or cups get some of those. Does he have clothes? If not get him a few things. 

emmy526
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:59 AM
2 moms liked this

He also may be too big for a crib, you're better off getting a race car toddler bed or something, rather than try to transition him again in 6mos to another bed.  Playgroup/library time is good to do as well...yard sales can have good deals for toys too..do you know anything at all about the child?

Janerispics
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:22 AM
I don't know much except that he is delayed. Does not speak yet. I don't know his weight or what he likes.
STVUstudent
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Hi, Mom... we went from three dogs and two cats to three dogs, two cats and two newborns... with about 5 days notice...

What to expect... at 2, do not expect him to be potty trained.  Baby gates are a must, because he is probably walking... we got ones that have a "walk through" feature... got them at Target, I think, or maybe Lowes.  we had the play=yards that are a series of plastic panels that fit together into a hexagon... or maybe an octagon... he will probably be too big for a playpen... and he may be too big for a crib, at this point... if he starts crawling out of the crib, he needs a bed...

D onot buy too much in the way of toys or clothing or STUFF until you see whet he comes with and what he likes... at 2, he will have an opinion... if you know about what size he is, get a couple of outfits, a couple of sleepers, some diapers, and a few brightly colored toys in the 18-36 month range... once he gets there, you will see what he likes and what he doesn't.

Food- at 2, he SHOULD be eating table food, but you never really know... keep in mind that most younger children do not like anything highly seasoned...  be prepared for him to have a rather limited palate- he may not have been exposed to very many things... you never know... give him some transition time, where food is concerned, but set the expectation very early that he will eat what you eat... saves agravation later.

There are a couple of good groups here on CM for Foster/Adoptive parents... you can get lots more specific advice form moms who have fostered/adopted...

STVUstudent
by on May. 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Delayed... not uncommon with foster kids... expect that he will still be in diapers, may or may not walk... do not expect the average 2 year old... expect younger, and hope to be surprised.

Since he is not verbal yet, I would highly recommend "Baby Signing Time."  You can get them online form amazon or from their own web site.  Honestly, the 1st one in the series was a little boring (I guess they were just figuring it out), but the later ones were much better...  2 was our favorite in the beginning... cute songs that aren't too iritating... simple signs for things they can use (apple, juice, milk, snack, ball), and the best part?  the signs are being done by babies and tiny tots... check it out... the production company is two little hands...

Quoting Janerispics:

I don't know much except that he is delayed. Does not speak yet. I don't know his weight or what he likes.

lillucky8
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I have a 2.5 yr old.

She lives board books, wooden puzzles, blocks, ride on toys..and lots of girly stuff that wont help you lol

I would def get a nightlight, thats a common fear at this age, clothes id wait to find out his size and then hit up the nearest consignment store, they grow fast at this age, my dd just shot up and grew out of 2t a week after i got her new jeans.

For foods, do easy stuff, they still have molars due in before age three so its possible his mouth will be sore, i can always get vegetable soup, chicken soup, beef and barley soup, goldfish crackers, kix and rice crispies cereal, oatmeal, applesauce, fruit, veggies etc. Oooh. Dont forget sippy cups! And small silverware and plates for him.

Tall gates at the top of the stairs are a must for nighttime, tall bc my dd will climb them. During the day when we are downstairs i dont worry about the bottom but see how he is, you may need one there also.

Dont forget toothbrush, paste (flouride free), bath soap and lotion, tub toys like the diff size cups w holes in the bottom and squirty toys, diapers and wipes, bum creams, a plastic potty or potty seat whichever you want to use to encourage practice...my dd played w hers for nearly a year before she wanted to use it.

Once you know what he likes you can get a special soft blanket in that character so he loves his bed.

Take it slow, overload is a major thing at this age, the smallest thing can send dd into a meltdown bc she cant communicate enough what she wants or whats wrong, so maybe be ready to designate a safe quiet spot for him if hes having a hard moment, like a super soft squishy pillow on the floor with a book, or a beanbag, a place he knows he can go to settle down or just relax and regroup as he may be scared at first of many things.

He should still nap but play that by ear, my kiddos thrive on their schedule, if we mess it up i get more meltdowns and cranky kids, so try and see when hes tired and start a nap or quiet time routine so he gets into the swing of it.

Hopefully i didnt babble too much and some of it is helpful!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
New.OrleansLady
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Honestly, you will probably need to get him and see how he is so that you know where to go. If he is delayed chances are he isn't potty trained yet. Get a small pack of size 3-4 just to have on hand but once you get him you can go to the store. Not sure if he would still use a pack n play or not. POssibly not even a crib depending. Ds wasn't delayed but he wouldn't stay in either past a year and a half. Good luck, I'm sure you will do great.
KailesMommy
by on May. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
With it being a foster child, really I would make a day of taking him out and seeing what he likes and gettin to know him some. I say that because you never know if he is delayed or has some different problems that the case workers do not know about. Has the parents rights been terminated yet? But I would say some toys for the bath, baby shampoo for him, diapers are hard because you wont know what size he is til you get him. And actually, I know when we were fostering we were told we were getting a 6month old girl, well they showed up with a 16month old boy. That was interesting. Lol but congrats and good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)