Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get the word "NO" out of my 20 months old vocabulary?????

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
  • 28 Replies

it doesn't matter what you ask her she sys no! And I understand that she doesn't know many words at this point but we will be driving down the road and she start yelling no over and over! And in a hateful kind of way! I think she knows this word is driving us nuts and that's why she does it. And we tell her if she says it again, she will get in trouble and of course she says it and even louder! Suggestions on how to not get her to use this word as much??????

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arpazia
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
It's a phase.
How often do you all say it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on May. 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Don't use it yourself. Otherwise don't fret about it at this age, she'll stop when she learns more words. She is using No as a way to explore her world right now.

luvemboth
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Ignore her every time she says it out of context. Eventually she'll stop. I know how those phases can be O.o
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LDavis33
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

It's a phase, I think all toddlers go through this.  It's annoying, but it will be over soon (until she's a teenager)

Try not using that word and ignoring her when she uses it unnecessarily.  Punishment probably isn't going to work at this age.  

Good luck!

jessesbride
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM

They'll grow out of it but for now your stuck with it. It's them learning to have (or that they can have) boundaries. As much as it sucks, it's good for their emotional well being that they are showing/testing their independence!

idunno1234
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Like all other childhood phases, this too shall pass.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Ignore
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

The more attention you give it, the more she will use it.  Like the PP say, ignore it, even though it drives yu crazy.  It will pass, I promise.

ThinkAgainMom
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Pick a word you think you would be happy to hear her say (until she's said it a million times).  Make sure it's something she can pronounce. 

Then start using it like it's a secret (yes could even be the word.). Whisper 'yes' to Daddy - but loudly enough that she can hear you.  Say 'yes' whenever you can then cover your mouth like you let out a big secret.  say 'yes' and laugh with Dad or a friend.  Whatever word you choose, make it a big deal, and a loud secret, and I will be surprised if she doesn't pick it up.  When she does, you have to act surprised and laugh when she says it too.  (You could use a word like 'love' which is a sweet one to get them stuck on, even at earing splitting volumes.

Meanwhile have NO reaction when she says NO.  No matter how loud it is, you simply can't hear it.

LoreleiSieja
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  I know this does not seem funny to you, but it is adorable.  This is what many two year olds do.  It tells you two things - she is learning to communicate, and this is what she hears most of the time.  If she heard you telling her "parrot" all day long, she'd say "parrot".  Little learners are like sponges - they soak up everything!  And they are like mirrors, they reflect back on us.

Try to not say "no" to her for a long time - weeks, if possible.  If she reaches for something hot, you might make a sound, like - "uh uh!"  Otherwise, you can turn your negatives into positives.  Like, instead of "No, don't hit!"  You could take her hand and smile and say something like, "Hands are for loving touches".  Then put her hand on your cheek, make it pat your cheek gently, and say "Nice Mommy" and smile.  

Another thing you can try, is DO NOT REACT when she says "no".  Don't smile, don't scold, don't do a thing.  You are communicating to her through your reactions.  When babies first start to babbly, their mommies and daddies smile and clap their hands and urge the baby to make that sound again - and they do! That's how babies learn to talk.  When they say "ma ma" we smile. When they say "Da da" we smile. When they say "ga ga" we don't smile so much and they stop making that sound.

Enjoy your little one.  And take a picture of her saying "no no!" to add to your photo album.  One day you are going to want to remember this, and how precious she was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured