Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Have video games helped your shy kid open up?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
  • 4 Replies

5 Ways Video Games Can Bring a Shy Kid Out of His Shell

by Jeanne Sager

video game consoleVideo games are as much a part of modern kid-dom as peanut butter and jelly. Just about anywhere you go, you're bound to see a kid or three gathered around a little box with a screen jabbering on about mushrooms or racers or some such gibberish (to you anyway). Any guesses what you're seeing there?

Communication. Aka, social skills. Aka, video game play is no longer relegated to that loner kid in his mom's basement. In fact, if you've got a shy kid who needs to be brought out of his shell, you might want to invest in a game console. Behold the wonder of what it can do:

1. Common Ground. What does a shy kid need to start a conversation with other kids? That's right, an icebreaker. Pull out a handheld game console on the playground, and kids tend to come a running to see what they're playing. Presto, change-o, they've all got something to talk about.

2. Online Talk. Some kids just don't open up in person. But put them in front of a keyboard and let them develop a relationship with the written word, and you've opened the door to in-real-life friendships.

3. Takes the Pressure Off. Have a kid who doesn't really share much about his life with you? Try gaming with them ... and talk while you're playing. Studies have shown kids tend to open up more in environments that are pressure-free where they don't necessarily have to look you in the eye.

4. Something to Boast About. Doing well in a video game -- where the costs of failure are pretty low -- can give kids a confidence boost which will carry over to real life. We always want to feel like we're "good" at something, don't we?

5. Multiplayer Game Play. Not only do kids get to talk to their peers without having to be face-to-face with certain games, but multiplayer games also create a camaraderie and a sense of teamwork that often translates over to real life ... especially if they're playing with their real-life peers.

How have video games helped your shy kid open up?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
deadlights86
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My ds isn't shy but games sure do give him something to talk about with the boys at school even though he plays the old school games. At the moment we are on a megaman streak and its a hell of alot harder than games today but my kids are good at it.

cookiemonster77
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Open up to who? The tv?

ive found that kids who love video games are usually more introverted and lack socialization skills.

we joined cub scouts earlier in the year, and my 7 year old who never participates in ANyThINg...

not, mommy and me gymnastics, karate, soccer, gym, art, music, nothing

...did the flag ceremony in front of the whole pack after just a few months of sitting out and watching at every activity. 

I was so proud :)

---terrah---
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

This was interesting to read but I'm not sure that I believe all of it. I know a lot of kids who are big into video games and most of them are very introverted and not big into socializing with other kids. I don't think that video games are to blame...I think it's just their type of personality. But in my opinion, instead of relying on video games to help a child socialize, I'd invest money in some type of class geared towards one of their likes...karate, boy scouts, baseball, soccer, art classes etc. 

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 8, 2013 at 4:16 AM

the only video games my daughter plays are the "just dance" ones for the wii, and "dance, dance revolution"  she does those for exercise on rainy days..she's still super shy tho. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN