Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Should kids do chores?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 84 Replies

I've always had my girls help do things around the house, but I'm told I'm too strict and expect too much out of them - they're 12 and 13 and they do dishes, laundry, feed the cat and dog, and whatever else.

Do you think kids should do chores? At what age should they start?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessesbride
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Yes

LDavis33
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely!

My son is 3 and has chores.  He feeds the dog and the cat, picks up his toys, and wipes the tub down after his bath.  He also helps me cook and bake.

Honestly, my mother wasn't much for making us do chores, I think she found it easier to just do it herself.  But that didn't do us any favours.  All of my sisters and I are self-taught when it comes to cooking and cleaning.  It isn't just about teaching responsibility, it's about teaching life-skills.

I certainly don't think you are expecting too much of your girls.

20ACE13
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Mine are doing chores now like empty's the dishwasher, feeds the cats, feeds chickens, cleans his room, sweeps the floor, vacuums and what ever else because he thinks its fun but he knows they are the daily chores, and they are 2 and 3.  I think start them as early as possible so that they learn responsibility from the beginning that way later I wont be training them as well as their father lol My husband is 35 and still cant handle daily chores because he never had to do them as a kid (his reasoning).

CameronsMommy23
by on May. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
I think chores are good for kids! It teaches them responsibility. The chore has to be age appropriate of course. It prepares them for life on their own.
Chirinos
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Yes I feel kids should do chores. I had to do chores when I was a kid it teaches them responsibility. My boys started doing chores aound 3-4years old as simple as picking up their toys and putting them away. Now at age 8 and 10 they take out trash, help with Laundry, dust, clean their room and putting their toys away.
ceciliam
by Cecilia on May. 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Yes, I think they should. My son has always helped around the house, starting at when he was a toddler and wanted to help me.

Bmat
by Barb on May. 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM

For sure by 12 and 13 they should have major chores and responsibilities.  Mine started when they were toddlers. By 14 they got the special child employment forms and got jobs as bag boys in the grocery store.

jojo_star
by on May. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My kids are 11, 14, 15, and 16. They do laundry, dishes, their rooms, care for their pets, vacuum, sweep, and the oldest two cook. It is important, because children need to be able to do all those things, because mom and dad won't always be around to do it for them. Dh and I both work full time, so everyone in our family pitches in, and between the 6 of us, we get everything done. Our kids do help more than some children with a stay at home parent, but with 4 kids, it isn't that much for anyone child to do. They've always done chores, we've just adjusted them as they've gotten older and are able to do more. We started them with cooking lessons at 14ish, and had them cook meals on their own at 15. 

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:13 AM

My kids had a very few chores, my daughter tells me now I should have been tougher and made her do more! The boys always did the yard work and washed the cars and I made them keep their rooms clean. But I sort of regret never making any of them do housework. So, yes, kids should do chores! It makes them feel like part of the team and teaches them life skills.

oahoah
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes and I started my boys on chores when they were barely walking!  They need to learn to be self-sufficient at some point and the sooner the better. That being said, I am not a slave driver but it doesnt sound like you are either, it's just certain days have certain chores and if they don't do chores they cant have free time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN