Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Moving to in-laws property! EEK!

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 5 Replies
So...my MIL and I have always liked each other and gotten along. Until recently.
She owns our house and we found a leak and damage that required new floors, cabinets, and counters in kitchen. Through this whole thing she has been a pain. Always in the middle knowing everything (that usually ends up wrong) instead of letting the contractors do their job. It has taken a month and half for a job that should have taken 2 weeks.
So, she has me paint the living room, dining room, kitchen, and pick out cabinets and counters.
Now, she has decided to sell the place and buy a newer but smaller modular to put on her property for us to live in. She wants it to be rent to own but the property its on will be hers until she dies. Its basically in her front yard. 3,000 acres and she wants us 2 acres from her house. My SO is excited cause he wants to get out of town and be in country. I want to be in country too but on our own place. I am going to school. I have a really good credit score (856) and if we just buy the one we are in, live here for 5 years till I am out of school, we can buy our own piece of property. SO wants to get out of town now. It doesnt matter that 2 weeks ago this wasnt an option and that we just put a bunch of work into this place.
So I find a compromise. We move to that place. Instead of rent to own, we rent for 5 years and then buy our own place. He says we will see. His mom wants us there forever so that he can help out there. He already does more there than at home and leaves me stuck with all the heavy duty stuff he should be doing here. I know that will be worse when we are closer. I am trying to be optimistic and believe that it wont drive me insane but It seems like lately she is constantly saying critical things. She always has something to say about how I do stuff, what i do, what i dont do, etc. I really used to like her but these last two months have been awful and I do not want to live that close to her even for a short time but am compromising for a few years but i am scared its gonna end up being forever! The property will eventually be divided between all 4 kids and we will get what we live on but, it's not worth it. We will still get our share when the time comes whether we live there or not.
by on May. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bleacheddecay
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 12:34 PM

*HUGS* I wouldn't want to do any of that either.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't. But I like space and distance from all family.
WillsMOM72
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I almost moved that close to my mom but stopped the plans all of a sudden cause I realized I couldn't handle that everyday. They smother me so bad now and I live a good 10 min away. Good luck to you. I couldn't do something like that. I like my space.
JNLmomme09
by on May. 7, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I lived with my inlaws for 1 year to the day to save $$ to buy our first home. It was really good but towards the end it wa time. I would never consider the option you have. It's nice but you need your own place
newlife2013
by on May. 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

i couldn't live with the in laws, good luck to you and and your family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)