Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Where does\did baby sleep?

Posted by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM
  • 38 Replies

I have 2 daughters, Abby who is 2 1/2 years old and Emily who is 4 months old. We have a 2 bedroom house and my oldest, Abby, sleeps in one and me, my fiance and my youngest share the other. Recently I took my youngest to her doctor's appointment and the doctor asked where she slept and I told her that she slept in our room with us in her crib. She told me that I shouldn't have her in there and that she needs to have her own room so that she can learn to sleep on her own. (That was her only arguement, that she wouldn't sleep with us in the room too) I lived in a small one bedroom apartment with my oldest when she was born and she slept in our room up until she was one and both of my kids have slept through the night since 2 months old. They are both very heavy and good sleepers so I told her that they will be starting to share a room in the next month or so and she still said no, she needs her own space and the oldest does too. Well, I'm not made of money and I can't afford a 3 bedroom house just because she thinks its best.

My question for you ladies is how far would you go to tell the doctor to mind her own business when it comes to something that is more a personal opinion of theirs instead of a medical opinion? 

P.S. I didn't dare tell her that sometimes when my fiance has to work really early in the morning that I bring my youngest into my bed to sleep with me because I'm lonely. HA! Imagine what she would've said about co-sleeping! UGH!

So, should I leave it be or what?

by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bpryce
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I see a drs personal opinions as more of a guideline, and not a must. I listen and nod my head and go home and do what i want and think is best. When my dr tells me something medical or health related then i follow their advice.
JMmama
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this
That's ridiculous. You go to the doctor for medical advice not parenting advice. I would switch peds but I know not everyone has that option. If you have to stay with her, I would do a lot of smiling and nodding while saying "we'll think about it" and carry on with my original plan.

My kids sleep with me until they are ready to move to their own beds. My youngest is 16m and he will be making the move sometime this week. You do what is right for your family.
lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 5:13 PM
We coslept with DS until 6 months old. Then he went to his own room. He's now 4. We coslept with DD until 8months and now she's in her own room. I see nothing wrong with her being in your room or your kids sharing. They are both girls and close in age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meg4763
by on May. 7, 2013 at 5:57 PM

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  I would also just nod and pretty much ignore her comments unless it involved the health of the child.  Our son is 6 and he still comes into our bed every once in a while if he just happens to wake in the middle of the night. Also, if my dh has to work 3rd shift or out of town ever, I let him sleep with me. It has never caused a problem or messed him up going back into his own bed when dh was back home.  When dd gets here in Aug, we will have her packnplay/bassinet right beside our bed as  long as she breastfeeds or outgrows the bassinet. :)

ssassys
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

poppycock.  My sister and I shared a room our entire childhood.  For that matter, my mother was born during the great depression and my grandparents lived in a tiny travel trailer so that my grandfather could travel for work.  My mother slept in a drawer in the same room as her older sister and grandparents. I wonder what your doctor would have said about that.  Your kids are happy and healthy.  I wouldn't worry about it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM
2 months in a cradle with us. After that their crib in their own room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Leave it be. But it is a good idea to get a baby used to sleeping in their own bedroom(or shared with a sibling) as soon as you can. The longer you wait the harder it is to get them to sleep on their own.

jojo_star
by on May. 7, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think  I would find another dr, one who isn't so judgmental and more supportive of your parenting choices. My son slept in my bed with me from birth until he was 5. My dr knew, and was fine with it, just made sure I knew how to do it safely. 

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:31 PM

DS slept in our room in his pack and play until about 5 months old. So long as you aren't physically harming your children, neglecting them, or putting them in dangerous situations then doctors should have no reason to say anything.

mamaslilpunkin
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:52 PM

If its a personal opinion,I view it as the same as I would if a friend was giving me an opinion:I would nod along and just do what I wanted any way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)