Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kindergarten Homework UGHHH

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 58 Replies

My son is in kindergarten and having a hell of a time doing his homework at home. He's great with math but when it comes to reading and writing he gives up. He won't sound out words, and when he does he won't blend it together and say the right word. Tonight it was the word "was" he sounded it out, then when I told him to put the sounds together he said "where", "what" and "when". He's done this before with other words, actually every week he has this issue with at least one word on his "word wall" from school. One week it was the word "on" he literally said every 2 letter word EXCEPT on! Even after sounding it out. And all I hear from him is "I can't", "I don't know how" or the famous one "i'm thinking" this normally comes after he's been looking around the room and I tell him to say it out loud, or sound it out loud. I'm seriously at a loss, I don't know what to do. I've walked away and given him a few minutes to re group himself, I've moved on to something else and came back, I emailed his teacher also. (still waiting on a reply, I emailed her before posting this) The last time we had a parent-teacher conference I asked her about it and she said he's doing great in class and never has an issue with his words. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to fix this problem with out losing my mind. At this point I'm so ready to call it quits, I just can't do it any more. Help???

*Sarah*

Owner of Maryland Moms - http://www.cafemom.com/group/1706

and Owner of Fitness Challenges and Weight Loss - http://www.cafemom.com/group/118956 

by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I am thinking it could be to test your reaction and see how you handle it.    Starfall is a good website to concentrate on vowel sounds.  Last year when dd was in kindergarten, I had the teacher teach me how they break down words.   Now in first grade when she asks for help to spell a word, i break it down by letter sounds not the actual letters.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:43 PM

that's how they sound out the words, by the sound not the letter. A few people have said he's probably doing it to get attention, or irk my nerves but once I walk away he ends up crying at the table. Or he'll get really upset while I'm trying to help so I'm not always convinced it's for my reaction...although it could be. I'll check out the website also. Thank you.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am thinking it could be to test your reaction and see how you handle it.    Starfall is a good website to concentrate on vowel sounds.  Last year when dd was in kindergarten, I had the teacher teach me how they break down words.   Now in first grade when she asks for help to spell a word, i break it down by letter sounds not the actual letters.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

He could also just be tired from a long day at school so perhaps if you dont already, give him 30 minutes of outside time or a snack to help wind him down.  Starfall has helped alot for us and dd still has fun with it now she has progressed to the higher levels.  I have been using it to help a little girl we help care for on early release days.  She is/was having the same issues as your little boy with saying every word but the one that was presented.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

that's how they sound out the words, by the sound not the letter. A few people have said he's probably doing it to get attention, or irk my nerves but once I walk away he ends up crying at the table. Or he'll get really upset while I'm trying to help so I'm not always convinced it's for my reaction...although it could be. I'll check out the website also. Thank you.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

We started doing his homework before dinner (so around 6) I was doing it after dinner but he was way more whiny. It sucks because we only have 2 hours after I get home from work, and before he goes to bed. He's in after school care at karate until 6, he'll do some homework there after school, get a snack, run around and have karate class then I pick him up, we finish the days home work and I make dinner while he's in the shower. My mom suggested putting him to bed earlier but that's out of the question, it's impossible to put him to bed any earlier than 8 (his normal bedtime) and still have time for everything else. He has to get up between 6:30-7am because his bus comes at 7:30, which is way to early for elementary school but there's nothing I can do about that.

Quoting frndlyfn:

He could also just be tired from a long day at school so perhaps if you dont already, give him 30 minutes of outside time or a snack to help wind him down.  Starfall has helped alot for us and dd still has fun with it now she has progressed to the higher levels.  I have been using it to help a little girl we help care for on early release days.  She is/was having the same issues as your little boy with saying every word but the one that was presented.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Bleacheddecay
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I can't believe he has homework in kindergarten. Wow.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

it's a lot too! He's got math which is either a few problems (5 or so) or write out equations that equal a certain number, language arts - reading, writing sentences, and a few worksheets out of a booklet, a challenge and a reveiw. so 4 things for every day of the week - minus friday. Let's not forget they suggest reading, or letting them read you a book every night. It's all day kindergarten from 8am til 3:45pm... IMO that's WAY to much! No wonder kids are having issues learning

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

My son has this problem too. I know it's really hard to keep calm and not show you are frustrated but you have to or he'll pick up on it and get that way too.

I started just looking my son in the eye and asking "Do you want to read like *big sister*?" and he'd say yes. I would then have him try again. If he still said it wrong, I remind him he's guessing and try again. If he still just guesses I tell him if he's not going to look at the word and READ it then we will put the homework away. After being really consistent with this for about 3 months he stopped trying to "guess" his way through his work and began learning to read. He can now read kindergarten level books on his own and first grade stuff with help. 

Let me tell you how many times I wanted to just give up, UGH! But our persistence really helped him and consistency on only 3 tries to do it right before it was put away. Having that time limit really helped him and me stay sane during homework time.

Good luck, mom!

PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

That is WAY too much! They norm is 15 minutes per grade level of homework before they feel burned out and bored. I would talk to the teacher and see if you can reduce his homework level or just tell her/him that it's too much and you aren't forcing your son to do that every night.

My son has homework 3 days a week and that's it. Each night is ONE paper. I think that's enough for this age.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

it's a lot too! He's got math which is either a few problems (5 or so) or write out equations that equal a certain number, language arts - reading, writing sentences, and a few worksheets out of a booklet, a challenge and a reveiw. so 4 things for every day of the week - minus friday. Let's not forget they suggest reading, or letting them read you a book every night. It's all day kindergarten from 8am til 3:45pm... IMO that's WAY to much! No wonder kids are having issues learning

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

wedding ticker

Bleacheddecay
by on May. 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I agree. That's way too much. Ideally in a full day program there would be time to do any "homework" there. Still there shouldn't, IMO, be any homework for kindergarten at all.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

thats absolutely craaazy!!  my daughter is in grade 3 and has only brought home homework a handfull of times, and thats just cuz it didnt get finished during school time...her "homework" every night is to study spelling words and read for 20 minutes...but thats it!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)