Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kindergarten Homework UGHHH

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in kindergarten and having a hell of a time doing his homework at home. He's great with math but when it comes to reading and writing he gives up. He won't sound out words, and when he does he won't blend it together and say the right word. Tonight it was the word "was" he sounded it out, then when I told him to put the sounds together he said "where", "what" and "when". He's done this before with other words, actually every week he has this issue with at least one word on his "word wall" from school. One week it was the word "on" he literally said every 2 letter word EXCEPT on! Even after sounding it out. And all I hear from him is "I can't", "I don't know how" or the famous one "i'm thinking" this normally comes after he's been looking around the room and I tell him to say it out loud, or sound it out loud. I'm seriously at a loss, I don't know what to do. I've walked away and given him a few minutes to re group himself, I've moved on to something else and came back, I emailed his teacher also. (still waiting on a reply, I emailed her before posting this) The last time we had a parent-teacher conference I asked her about it and she said he's doing great in class and never has an issue with his words. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to fix this problem with out losing my mind. At this point I'm so ready to call it quits, I just can't do it any more. Help???

*Sarah*

Owner of Maryland Moms - http://www.cafemom.com/group/1706

and Owner of Fitness Challenges and Weight Loss - http://www.cafemom.com/group/118956 

by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Somethings got to give, I would ask the teacher to modify the homework for him. Can you hire a teenager, a boy would be best, to come over and supervise homework a couple of days a week so you get a break?

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM
I'm in Maryland. My friends son is in 2nd grade now and had multiplication homework last year.

Quoting Chirinos:

Where are you from? Because where I'm from they start multiplication towards the end of 2nd grade like in the last quarter or at least the school my boys go to. I'm from Nebraska.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

I don't remember having any homework in kindergarten. I think it's ridiculous honestly. They are teaching multiplication to 1st graders now.. I didn't learn that til 3 grade. Times change, but not always for the better. 

Quoting Chirinos:

Wow my kids never had that much homework in kindergarten. Once in awhile they would have reading or math but thats it. My youngest son had a really hard time with reading it wasn't until he was in first grade that he finally understood it. Good Luck to you I wish I could help.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 7:04 AM
My mom is gonna give it a go tonight and see if its any better.

Quoting Lindalou907:

Somethings got to give, I would ask the teacher to modify the homework for him. Can you hire a teenager, a boy would be best, to come over and supervise homework a couple of days a week so you get a break?

Txlisa7969
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My son is in full day Kindergarten and the only homework he has each night is two readers and a little writing.  It takes him all of 10-15 minutes. The only time they have any extra work is if they don't complete their work in class. That being said I wish they would send a bit more home or challenge him more.  He is bored.  My two older children complain about being bored too (they are 13 and 15) and they are even in advanced classes.  I am so not thrilled with the Texas education system.  

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Sounds like the school systems are messed up on way or another every where. You could always buy the work books for your son to give him a little more to do, maybe harder work.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

My son is in full day Kindergarten and the only homework he has each night is two readers and a little writing.  It takes him all of 10-15 minutes. The only time they have any extra work is if they don't complete their work in class. That being said I wish they would send a bit more home or challenge him more.  He is bored.  My two older children complain about being bored too (they are 13 and 15) and they are even in advanced classes.  I am so not thrilled with the Texas education system.  

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Wow! Definitely did not expect this to become a featured post!
Txlisa7969
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Oh we supplement at home.  Between work we give him, real life experiences like when we go to the store and computer programs we supplement like crazy lol.  I am originally from NY and moved to TX when I was in middle school.  One thing I remember when I was little was that the classes were broken up according to skill level.  Starting in I think 1st grade they would have three groups.  One for the advance kids so they could continue to work ahead, one for the kids that were at level and one for those that needed some extra help.  During math and reading we would break up into our assigned groups.  I wish they would do something similiar here :/

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

Sounds like the school systems are messed up on way or another every where. You could always buy the work books for your son to give him a little more to do, maybe harder work.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Starfall is great! 

Also, when we started our first reading- just before K we really got into it- I made her little index cards with one or two letters together. We would just sit down and go through them. TR says trrrr. SH says shhh. Stuff like that. Then add a single letter card to make a word or something kwim?

I see the debate has gotten into what's appropriate for homework in general but the truth is anything you can do to help at home is great. And if you feel it is too much- mention it to the teacher but still make and effort at home. Gl!

Halobetasol
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Yeah!!!!! i cant wait to help my daughter with her homework.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on May. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

We had homework in Kindergarten and now in 1st grade.  We always had spelling words (spelling test on Friday), math book page twice/week.  

Have you thought about a reward system?  My son hates to read.  We give him one sticker for each book or chapter he reads.  After 5 stickers he gets a 1.00.  This has really helped. He is in 1st grade and now reading on a 3rd grade reading level.  We also found great series that he loves to read.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)