Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Kindergarten Homework UGHHH

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is in kindergarten and having a hell of a time doing his homework at home. He's great with math but when it comes to reading and writing he gives up. He won't sound out words, and when he does he won't blend it together and say the right word. Tonight it was the word "was" he sounded it out, then when I told him to put the sounds together he said "where", "what" and "when". He's done this before with other words, actually every week he has this issue with at least one word on his "word wall" from school. One week it was the word "on" he literally said every 2 letter word EXCEPT on! Even after sounding it out. And all I hear from him is "I can't", "I don't know how" or the famous one "i'm thinking" this normally comes after he's been looking around the room and I tell him to say it out loud, or sound it out loud. I'm seriously at a loss, I don't know what to do. I've walked away and given him a few minutes to re group himself, I've moved on to something else and came back, I emailed his teacher also. (still waiting on a reply, I emailed her before posting this) The last time we had a parent-teacher conference I asked her about it and she said he's doing great in class and never has an issue with his words. So I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and what I can do to fix this problem with out losing my mind. At this point I'm so ready to call it quits, I just can't do it any more. Help???

*Sarah*

Owner of Maryland Moms - http://www.cafemom.com/group/1706

and Owner of Fitness Challenges and Weight Loss - http://www.cafemom.com/group/118956 

by on May. 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
mjande4
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

You don't say how old your son is. If he's a "young" kindergartner, then he may be having difficulty keeping up. Maturity plays a HUGE role in the lower grades. The homework allotment may be geared towards the 6/7 year old, not 5.

Chirinos
by Member on May. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Wow thats early. I feel they are pushing the kids to learn more earlier than when we were kids. My oldest is in 4th grade and I can't help him with his math homework anymore because I don't even understand it and they teach it differently from how we learned it. It sucks :-(

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

I'm in Maryland. My friends son is in 2nd grade now and had multiplication homework last year.

Quoting Chirinos:

Where are you from? Because where I'm from they start multiplication towards the end of 2nd grade like in the last quarter or at least the school my boys go to. I'm from Nebraska.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

I don't remember having any homework in kindergarten. I think it's ridiculous honestly. They are teaching multiplication to 1st graders now.. I didn't learn that til 3 grade. Times change, but not always for the better. 

Quoting Chirinos:

Wow my kids never had that much homework in kindergarten. Once in awhile they would have reading or math but thats it. My youngest son had a really hard time with reading it wasn't until he was in first grade that he finally understood it. Good Luck to you I wish I could help.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
He's 6, his birthday is in February so he's on the older side.

Quoting mjande4:

You don't say how old your son is. If he's a "young" kindergartner, then he may be having difficulty keeping up. Maturity plays a HUGE role in the lower grades. The homework allotment may be geared towards the 6/7 year old, not 5.

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I've noticed that too, it all started with the "no child left behind act" they did it to me in high school. I failed biology in 9th grade and when I retook it in 12th they put me in honors biology. Luckily I had a good teacher that taught differently and helped me out when I needed it. But still it made no sense then, and still doesn't make since now to push kids so much, especially at a young age

Quoting Chirinos:

Wow thats early. I feel they are pushing the kids to learn more earlier than when we were kids. My oldest is in 4th grade and I can't help him with his math homework anymore because I don't even understand it and they teach it differently from how we learned it. It sucks :-(

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

I'm in Maryland. My friends son is in 2nd grade now and had multiplication homework last year.

Quoting Chirinos:

Where are you from? Because where I'm from they start multiplication towards the end of 2nd grade like in the last quarter or at least the school my boys go to. I'm from Nebraska.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

I don't remember having any homework in kindergarten. I think it's ridiculous honestly. They are teaching multiplication to 1st graders now.. I didn't learn that til 3 grade. Times change, but not always for the better. 

Quoting Chirinos:

Wow my kids never had that much homework in kindergarten. Once in awhile they would have reading or math but thats it. My youngest son had a really hard time with reading it wasn't until he was in first grade that he finally understood it. Good Luck to you I wish I could help.

mjande4
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Maybe try letting him "break" the packet up and take ownership of the time element.  He's clearly tired at the end of the day, but if he is responsible for the choices, then it may go easier.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

Quoting mjande4:

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I'm gonna see how he does with my mom helping him and me out of the equation. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try another approach. I hate having her do homework with him because it makes me feel like I'm pushing him off on to someone else but she offered and I'm out of patience lol.

Quoting mjande4:

Maybe try letting him "break" the packet up and take ownership of the time element.  He's clearly tired at the end of the day, but if he is responsible for the choices, then it may go easier.

Quoting Mommyof1_2013:

Quoting mjande4:

UpSheRises
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I would quit if i were you. Kindergartner have no business doing homework.

Children are different at home than they are at school. It's your job to help him practice, you've gotta find something that works for you. He might not enjoy the worksheets they send but he might enjoy making a list of things he'd like for his birthday or drawing a picture of his family and writing their names under them...something meaningful.

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

If he's doing so well at school, maybe he's testing you or enjoying the extra time you're spending with him. 

bunnyxlover
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

have you tried flashcards?  my mom used them with me every night when i was in kindergarten, i ended being one of the best readers in first grade

Mommyof1_2013
by on May. 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM
His teacher replied to my email and told me he's been reluctant on trying new things in class and often gets frustrated and shuts down. So its not just me, which made me feel a little better but now we've gotta work on his confidence so he doesn't get frustrated. He has an IEP for speech (which has helped a lot) so I think that maybe play a role in it. His teacher is sending home activities to help encourage blending sounds together.

Quoting whoodathunk:

If he's doing so well at school, maybe he's testing you or enjoying the extra time you're spending with him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN