Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

child name missing on birth certificate

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 14 Replies
Im not sure if anyone can help me but here goes.

I found a copy of my mother BC. She was born in DC in 1966. Where is say child on the BC, there is no name. How ever at the bottle of the BC it say :

Name of child should be [my mothers name]
Taken from sup 9-18-1969

My mom said she alway felt like she was adopted, how ever my grandma said she is not.

My mom doent have any baby pic or but from school.

Any one have a BC like this? Or know anything that could help us understand.
by on May. 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM

No, but one route to go would be to do DNA testing via the geneaology route. 

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM
When a child is adopted a new birth certificate is issued with the childs name as well as the adoptive parent(s) are listed instead of the birth parent(s).
Without a proper BC you cannot get a drivers licens or marriage licens. And you have to have a legal name for a SSN
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No clue but it does seem suspicious somehow.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I have pic of the BC there is no name under the word child. How ever mygandmas is listed undermother.

My mom has a SSN card with her name as well as a drivers licens.

Im not sure something isnt making since though.....
PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it posible the parents didn't have a name chosen right away and then waited to get it put on the BC?

As a child that's adopted, her name would be under the Child section. Everything would look exactly like a normal BC. The only thing that gives it away is the date of issue.

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

Is it posible the parents didn't have a name chosen right away and then waited to get it put on the BC?

As a child that's adopted, her name would be under the Child section. Everything would look exactly like a normal BC. The only thing that gives it away is the date of issue.

Hmm, never thought of that. Im not sure the only thing my grandma ever says it she didnt have money back then to get a BC for my mom. She had 4 other kid. But it just doesnt make since that just bc she didnt have mkney that they wouldnt add her name when there name where on it in the right place.
PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I know NOW they prefer your child has a name before leaving in the hospital but I think it was different back then. Maybe they waited a bit to name her and then got it put on later.

I don't really know, I'm just guessing.

Can you ask Gma why no name?

Quoting MornmyOfOne:

Quoting PandTsmomjuly:

Hmm, never thought of that. Im not sure the only thing my grandma ever says it she didnt have money back then to get a BC for my mom. She had 4 other kid. But it just doesnt make since that just bc she didnt have mkney that they wouldnt add her name when there name where on it in the right place.

wedding ticker

MornmyOfOne
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I have asked over and over. She just gets up set and said she not adopted, that it her real daughter and that they just didnt have money back then.
PandTsmomjuly
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ok, I found this and it leads me to believe they would have had to pay something to get her name put on the BC if she was over a year when they got around to it.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/vs/VR212-web.pdf

Not sure if it's relevant though.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 8, 2013 at 9:38 PM

hmm, sounds kinda suspicious to me too..has a dna test ever been done?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN