Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Questions.

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 4 Replies

Okay my husban and I have a cat. We have had her for about 5 months now. We love her. Wellwe love all animals, so we decided to get a puppy. Well I don't know if having a cat and a dog around our baby would be a good idea. I'm 11 weeks pregnant today. My little one is due November 30th. My family didn't have any animals when I was a baby. My mother had toxoplasmosis an I thinki that's why she didn't want any animals aroun me or my little sister. But I woul like to know if you think it be a good or bad idea to have the animals around the baby. Plus I hope the puppy learns to love the cat and same for the cat. 

by on May. 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Bleacheddecay
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I would wait until your children are 5 or so. That's a great deal to take on raising three creatures all at one, trying to keep them safe from one another, fed and clean. It's too much IMO.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 4:30 PM

My kids were raised around dogs and we now have a cat as well.  As long as you get a dog that is not in any way viscious and that the shelter or current owner knows to be stable around kids/cats and even other dogs you should be ok.  

The important thing though is that deciding if you will have the time to properly care for a dog and a newborn.  Dogs are much needier than cats, they are almost like having another child and there may be some jealousy on the part of the dog when the new baby comes home.  For that reason alone I'd wait.

Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on May. 11, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I wouldn't get rid of an animal just because you are having a baby. Just be watchful of the cat around the baby and you will be fine. I grew up with animals around me all of my life.

stargazerwolf
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I'd not get a puppy, maybe an older dog that is friendly with cats. If you adopt you can find one used to being around cats. When I was married and 8 months pregnant we got a pit bull puppy. That was such a pain to be housebreaking a puppy when so pregnant and then after we had our baby, taking care of a puppy when I was so exhuasted from our newborn. No fun. I wish we hadn't gotten a puppy. I had my older dogs already and they were easy, but puppies are a lot of work.

As for the cat you already have, make sure you establish early on that the crib is not for him to sleep in. Give him lots of attention after the baby comes so he doesn't get jealous. Some cats start peeing on baby things out of jealousy. Otherwise you shouldn't have any issues. I believe it is good for kids to be raised with animals all around.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)