Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How is a charter school different from public school?

Posted by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

There are parents at my daughters school that are trying to start a charter school. What is the difference in charter vs public? Her kids are in 1st grade and i know that she feels like they arent getting challenged enough in public school.

by on May. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Charter schools are public schools. You usually have to apply to them though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saysmom
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Yes they are public but how are they different?

Quoting atlmom2:

Charter schools are public schools. You usually have to apply to them though.

piwife
by on May. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
A charter school can especialize in certain stuff. For example my niece goes to a charter school that pushes computer design. also they can be privately funded
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM
My in laws live by a charter elementary. The school year is longer. It is year around when other schools have summer off. I think it has lower class size.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I don't know if this is how they all are, but the one my dd is going to next yr gives them more individualized work. Rather than having a general curriculum for say 1st grade, they test them in each subject to see where they need to start. They also go more at their own pace.

I'm homeschooling through the charter school (although she'll go to fun elective type classes 1 day a week), and the charter school is part of the public school system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM
My dd's charter school is considered a Christian/private school without tuition fees. The student/teacher ratio is def smaller. Not sure on this count , but her school has advanced curriculum. You do have a time frame to re enroll your child. They do have after school care. Kids that are car riders have to be picked up by a certain time. Then kids who are bus riders are put on the bus.
erinsmom1964
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM
1 mom liked this

This isn't a question really anyone can answer because its different at every single charter school.

In the United States, charter schools are primary or secondary schools that receive public money (and like other schools, may also receive private donations). They are subject to some of the rules, regulations, and statutes that apply to other public schools, but generally have more flexibility than traditional public schools. Charter schools are expected to produce certain results, set forth in each school's charter.[1] Charter schools are attended by choice.[2]

In exchange for flexibility, charter schools receive less funding than public schools in the same area - typically, they receive only 'head' funds (a certain amount per student) and do not receive any facilities funding which typically pays for a public school's maintenance and janitorial needs. Although charter schools provide an alternative to other public schools, they are part of the public education system and are not allowed to charge tuition. Where enrollment in a charter school is oversubscribed, admission is frequently allocated by lottery-based admissions systems. However, the lottery is open to all students.[3]

In a 2008 survey of United States charter schools, 59% of the schools reported that they had a waiting list, averaging 198 students.[4] Some charter schools provide acurriculum that specializes in a certain field—e.g., arts, mathematics, or vocational training. Others attempt to provide a better and more cost efficient general education than nearby non-charter public schools. Charter school students take state-mandated exams.[5]

Some charter schools are founded by teachers, parents, or activists who feel restricted by traditional public schools.[6] State-authorized charters (schools not chartered by local school districts) are often established by non-profit groupsuniversities, and some government entities.[7] Additionally, school districts sometimes permit corporations to manage chains of charter schools. The schools themselves are non-profit entities. Corporate management does not affect the status of a school. As of September 2012, in the United States, the only school system with the majority of children educated in charter schools was the New Orleans Public Schools.[8]

In my city my DD who just turned 4 has been on the waiting list for a charter school for over 2 years and may very well not make it in the kindergarten class :(.  Ours has no busing and parents must volunteer a minimum of 8 hours a month.  We were recently in the countries top 1000 of high schools with a 95 % graduation rate and of those 97% go on to college.  

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I would love for Ds to go to a school like this what state is the school?

Quoting luvemboth:

I don't know if this is how they all are, but the one my dd is going to next yr gives them more individualized work. Rather than having a general curriculum for say 1st grade, they test them in each subject to see where they need to start. They also go more at their own pace.

I'm homeschooling through the charter school (although she'll go to fun elective type classes 1 day a week), and the charter school is part of the public school system.

luvemboth
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:24 AM
CA

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting luvemboth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 3:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks, I'll have to see if there are any in Washington

Quoting luvemboth:

CA

Quoting Bookoholic:

Quoting luvemboth:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)