Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I find a therapeutic boarding school for a low income troubled teen? UPDATE

Posted by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
  • 15 Replies

My son is 13 years old and out of control. I have tried to get help from the Department of Social Services but have been successful. I have also did a internet search for schools but have come up empty handed on those that provide financial assistance. I don't know where else to look. Can someone tell me of any schools that assist low income troubled teens?

UPDATE: I thank everyone for there nonjudgmental advice. I have decided to go other routes instead. I don't want my kid to damaged because of something I did that was suppose to help him. I will continue to pray for him and do the best I can. He has already been arrested and I hope that it won't happen again. The other side isn't helping me but has continued to encourage his behavior. He would not come home from paternal granny's so I took the police there. But the police would not make him leave due to his violent outbursts because it was considered a liability issue. Sigh. So I am going for full custody and I hope that all goes well.
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JeremysMom
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
What have you tried so far? Is boarding school the last option? Have you looked into income based therapy sessions?
Nicholy10
Wednesday at 11:13 PM
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM

What kind of issues is he having....has he been screened for a PRTF? Those have financial assistance I believe. It's a private residential treatment facility...the stay is 30 days minimum, maximum depends on the child and needs.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Have you tried therapy? Talk to the school and see if they have any suggestions.
chelsea2007
by on May. 12, 2013 at 9:51 PM

That's the worst thing you could do to him! Trust me, as a teen from foster care that was placed in one for nine months and in several throughout my lifetime... It's nothing more than jail without a prison term and kids die in those facilities, are given dangerous drugs, and once he's there you may or may not be allowed contact with him for months to years in the name of "therapy". It's not like a hospital, you can't just go and take him out.

I can't talk about the particulars of my case because it's pending a civil suit, but this is a playlist that I made of a kids who have been through these facilities and what they went through.

Elyssa414
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2013 at 9:55 PM
I just did a google search and came up with shelterwood.org
chocolat-smiles
by Member on May. 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Bump
queensweet
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

I am so sorry you had to endure such conditions with this type of program. It is a shame that programs that are suppose to help but are implemented to do the total opposite.

I don't know what else to do with this kid. The paternal side has corrupted him so much that he has turned against me. He did not come home when he was suppose and now is over his paternal granny's home whom is not a good person to say the least. She refuses to send him home and my son does not come home anyway when he is suppose to do so. Sigh. I am just so tired and feel so alone.

Quoting chelsea2007:

That's the worst thing you could do to him! Trust me, as a teen from foster care that was placed in one for nine months and in several throughout my lifetime... It's nothing more than jail without a prison term and kids die in those facilities, are given dangerous drugs, and once he's there you may or may not be allowed contact with him for months to years in the name of "therapy". It's not like a hospital, you can't just go and take him out.

I can't talk about the particulars of my case because it's pending a civil suit, but this is a playlist that I made of a kids who have been through these facilities and what they went through.

queensweet
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I have to get him home in order to try therapy which is expensive and hard to get quality when you are on medicaid. Plus the school did not help me, instead they called cps on me. 

Quoting cjsmom1:

Have you tried therapy? Talk to the school and see if they have any suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured