Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Over protective moms with teen girls?

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM
  • 10 Replies
What is the appropriate age to allow her to start dating?
I didn't think I'd have to deal with this for a very long time,but I have had custody of my teenage niece(age 15) for a little over a year now, a little background on her, she's very sweet,trustworthy,smart,she makes all A's,she cleans everything up without me even having to ask.... She recently bought her own iphone5(she has a little after school job,she walks my neighbors kids home from school every day,and tutors them every Monday,Tuesday, Wednesday& Thursday evening) my neighbor pays her at the end of the week..... Ok now back to this dating situation, she's very mature for her age and me and her have a great relationship,soo when she came and asked for my approval to "date" this boy I was happy she didn't sneak and do it, I first told her no she's too young but she begged and begged for me and her favorite uncle my little brother (age 20) too meet him, we agreed to have him over for dinner next Saturday night, but I'm still skeptical on this whole situation, I know if she was living with her mother the answer would of been "yes".... I just think 15 is a little young,but maybe that's just me,I don't plan on allowing my 4 daughters to start dating until age 17,& if my husband was alive it would be age 25! Lol
What are your rules about dating? Sorry for my typos I'm half sleep over here
by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:32 AM
2 moms liked this

I would say that based on what you've said about her that as long as long as she promises to keep up with her grades, committments and friends that you will allow her to date this boy. I would also add that until she is 17 AND/OR able to drive herself that the only dates she can have must be chaperoned by either you or a responsible adult. As for your daughters, depending on their behavour I would also set the same ground rules. My rules are that you must always have enough money to pay for a date incase something goes wrong, you must be able to drive in case something goes wrong and you want to leave, and you must always tell at least 2 people (it's not the end of the world if it is not me) your exact plans for the date if you are not comfortable telling me the full details, just incase something happens and I can't reach you.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2013 at 2:45 AM
2 moms liked this

Based on what you typed, i think she is mature enough to handle any pressure a boy may put on her for more physical contact. and everything gleeking typed out.   I was dating at 15 and it was more group type things than one on one since neither of us had a license. We did alot of day time dates like to a water park/amusement park, mini golf, movies and then roller skating at night.

want10more
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 5:53 AM

my 14 yr old girlee is not so adult as yours. therefore she can't date until she's 16. but i do think 15 is just fine. she sounds like a great kid. there's not reason to NOT trust her until she gives you a reason. she is smart responsible and evidentally a really good kid. let her go. just give her a good time to get home. and uh, waiting til 17? just ain't gonna work in this day and age. let them! just be sure of where they are.... you can always get gps on their phones. we have to do that but like i said, we gotta be a lil more careful where OUR baby is concerned. notsotrustworthy. if they ARE trustworthy... haven't they shown you nuff?

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spitfire.mommy
by on May. 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I started dating at 15. I actually dating the same guy for a year. My mom had the same rules. I also had to keep up my grades and prior commitments. I would also make sure she knows that it's ok to tell him no. And not to let him pressure her into anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojo_star
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My daughter is 15, I would have no problem letting her date if she wanted to. At the moment, she has no interest at all in dating. My 16 and 14 year old boys are dating, however, the rule in our house is, DH and I have to meet the other person, and we have to like them, or it's a no go. We'd do the same with our daughter, and so far, it's worked out very well. 

Jessy76
by on May. 13, 2013 at 10:13 AM
2 moms liked this

We started allowing our girls to go out on group functions when they were 15 and double dates at 16. Now that they are 17 one is in a relationship and the other is not super interested in dating right now. My DH sat down with them & explained he isn't willing to allow his girls to be just a piece of meat for some random boy. He was blunt and said he isn't going to allow his girls to be treated the way HE treated girls as a teenager. Now that they are 17 our rules for dating are simple. If the boy asks you out and you want to go the boy MUST 1st come to meet us. Whether it's coming for game night or dinner doesn't matter we want to meet him and get a sense of what kind of person he is. Then Dad will say one way or another if the date will happen. My DH isn't difficult he gets along with people really easily. He just feels if these boys have good intentions then they wont have any issue meeting the parents. They will understanding that we love and cherish our daughters and aren't just going to let some random guy take them out.

zetajen
by on May. 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

define dating. a boy coming over to dinner at your house, with you there, is a perfect date for a 15 year old. Them going to the movies where they meet there or are dropped off by a parent is a good date for a 15 year old. This boy wants to come over and spend time with her family. He is probably a pretty good kid, based on that alone. I would say that with a definition of dating you are comforatble with, you should absolutely let her date.

MJP76
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

My DD at 15 is dating. Chaperoned dating only....

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM

The rule in my house is 16. The date where he comes to pick her up, meets us and then brings her home by curfew at the end of the date. Now she will meet her boyfriend at the mall and go to movies, eat, hang out with friends, sometimes they go skating. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN