Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The Television

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
  • 9 Replies

How are others handling screen time with their toddlers? We don't have a tv, but with youtube and netflix we might as well. I am struggling with how to handle this myself and I am looking for ideas and stories about how others are handling it.

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
OliviaW.
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this
We have it on but that doesn't mean they actually watch it. They'd rather be coloring or playing with something.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM

We usually had it on as background noise for toddler years.  We invested in the baby einstein dvd series for the music aspect .  DD is 7 yr old now so we use moderation of tv and computer but do not make either off limits unless she lost those privileges.  She enjoys classical music thanks to being exposed to it early on.

squocket
by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thanks! Glad to hear that some are finding television to be a positive or at least benign thing. I live in a very liberal neighborhood so there is a lot of, "I'm not letting my kid even see a bit of tv until he is x years old".

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on May. 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM

i always had it on for background noise, 99% of the time she didnt even notice it was on. 

AM-BRAT
by Amber on May. 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM
I've never understood the background noise angle. Ever. And everyone says it. No offense to the other gals- I like them all. :)

I personally don't need any more noise than there is and I hate commercials! The radio is almost always on though, country.

My kids can have screen time while I exercise, or on an afternoon sometimes. We let them play with the phones recently at a dinner that 30+ people attended, and they just needed kid stuff.

We absolutely strive for educational stuff like pbs kids, nat geo, etc.

But who doesn't love some mindless entertainment right? They get that too with the barbie and whatnot.
---terrah---
by on May. 15, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Most toddlers could care less about television. They are too focused on all the neat things going on around them. They would rather play than sit in front of the tv or computer. 

For us, we believe in moderation for everything...including television. When our older DS was a toddler, we would allow him to watch it sporadically during the day but we kept him so busy with other things, that he really didn't watch the tv much. He would have much rather played with playdough than watch television. Even today at 5, he will watch tv, but he gets bored with it pretty quickly.

Use your mom instincts. You know your child. If you feel that your LO is starting to watch too much tv, than cut back. But if your LO watches it in moderation, then I don't see the need to set an actual time limit. Trust your mom gut.

JTE11
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM

We only have it on when it's time for DD to watch a show, which is maybe once or twice per day. Other than that the TV is mostly off. We don't just let it on because it's distracting to her and she picks up on EVERYTHING even if she doesn't seem to be paying attention to it so we find it safer to keep it off. We do put the Sirius satellite music on through the TV at other times, though, on the spa channel to help her calm down before bed time.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I have the TV on almost all the time. But mainly mine is for background noise too. When we leave we have it turned on for our dog because the voices, sounds soothe him. He is the baby in the house now! LOL

maddiemommy2009
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Personally I dont think tv is the problem its what u allow them to watch my baby grew up on nickjr and she knows a lot for just a 3 year old things I've never even thought her . I only allow her to watch disney for certain shows like sofia the first and mickey anything else she comes and says mommy I'm not supposed to look at that .... honestly for winter my tv never goes of and I have no problem getting her away from the tv she loves her outdoors activities and her crafts
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)